• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    thanks , now i got it :0)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by JCoelho View Post
    Aditive is an infinite amount of space full of nothing, subtractive is an infinite amount of space full of something.
    Not quite. Subtractive mode also is an infinite space of nothing, but a giant cube brush was added, which fills the entire space covered by the grid in the 2D viewports. It's just a hack for people who don't want to adjust to UE3 starting out with an empty world. (UE1/2 started with a filled world.) But like all hacks, this comes at a price - in this case way longer lighting build times and losing the option to create an outdoor map. And "outdoor" here means even maps with indoor-only gameplay if there are with windows.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    It is better to simulate subtractive by creating an additive map and manually placing a solid box of reasonable size, and then subtracting into that. So yeah, never use subtractive.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Aditive is an infinite amount of space full of nothing, subtractive is an infinite amount of space full of something.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The massive brush that surrounds everything in a subtractive level makes for longer lighting calculations and it's a bit more difficult to build outdoor levels compared to previous versions of the engine. It's better to make an additive level, add a large brush the size of what you want to make something with, and subtract from it rather than the massive block you start with in a true subtractive level.

In additive levels, since you start with exactly nothing, it can be easier to build your idea from scratch whether it's an entire outdoor world or a couple indoor rooms.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Additive VS subtractive

Additive VS subtractive

Hello, in every single tutorial i ve seen , they use additive , and 3d buzz said that subtractive is not good. I found myself to be much more faster in building level in subtractive mode, what is the catch? what is wrong with subtractive that nobody likes it? Thank you

E.g .
    gnomon
    3d buzz
    eat 3d

and much more.
Working...
X