how do you use the dump movie command?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do you use the dump movie command?

we really want high definition cutscenes,but we want to edit them outside of the udk.
    i've read in the mastering unreal book something about the dump movie command,but it doesn't tell you exactly how to use it.
    can anybody please help me on using the dump movie command to get a clip out of the udk and into a movie editor with out using cam studio,or camtasia studio.or fraps.

DumpMovie Command
    Unreal Engine 3 also provides the ability to render out each frame of the cinematic sequence to individual image files that can be composited into a single movie file in an external application. These standalone movie files could potentially be used for purpose of promoting a game or mod, taking legal issues into account of course, by making them available on the Internet or including them in commercials. The process is extremely simple once the cinematic is created. All you need to do is launch the game's executable file from the command line specifying the name of the map file the cinematic resides in followed by the -dumpmovie switch. This will cause a .BMP image file for each frame to be created inside of the Screenshots folder for the game. The -benchmark switch may also be used in addition to limit the game to running at 30 frames per second. If you wish to, you may also specify the resoultion to run the game at using the -ResX= and -ResY= switches. The full command would look something like this:

ExampleGame CinematicsDemo -dumpmovie -benchmark -resx=1280 -resy=720

This command would launch the ExampleGame running the CinematicsDemo map at a resolution of 1280x720 and at 30 frames per second while creating images of each frame.
    Just combine all the files into one using Bink.

Comment

Output at a resolution of 1280x720 and at a frequency of 60 frames a second (to give a 30fps interlaced FMV when compiled) and you're looking at about 150mb of output for every second of footage.

A three minute cutscene is going to be nearly 30Gb of uncompiled video on your hard disk.

You have been warned!

Comment

Originally posted by ambershee View Post
        Output at a resolution of 1280x720 and at a frequency of 60 frames a second (to give a 30fps interlaced FMV when compiled) and you're looking at about 150mb of output for every second of footage.

A three minute cutscene is going to be nearly 30Gb of uncompiled video on your hard disk.

You have been warned!
        ****,3 minutes is 30gb?
        what i was trying to ask though,is how do i open it in a command line?

Comment

"C:\Program Files\Unreal Tournament 3\Binaries\ut3.exe" VCTF-RailsFight_3_New.ut3 -useunpublished -dumpmovie -windowed -benchmark -resx=1600 -resy=1200

That's what I used for UT3 - I imagine all you would have to do is change the path to point to the UDK

Comment

Hi,
            has anyone information about the highest possible resolution that can be achieved using the -dumpmovie command?
            I couldn't find anything on the UDN website.

Thanxs

Comment

Ive been wondering what the max res is also.

Comment

3 minutes is 30 GB... keep in mind that's the raw screens.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822152178

80$ Free shipping for a 1TB external HDD. ((That's around 80-cents per minute... if you don't back up your raw footage... and you don't delete it when it's compressed... which may or may not be a terrible idea depending on what you're doing))

These days storage is so cheap you shouldn't have a problem with just about any storage issue that will come up in a mod or game development context.

And yes, USB2.0 is dirt slow but... I think it'll just take longer to render if you're waiting for it to save out.

Comment

The maximum resolution you can render out with the DUMPMOVIE command is whatever the resolution of your screen is. If you need something larger, there is the DUMPMOVIE_TILEDSHOT command which can render frames out at a specified multiple of the resolution you run the game at.

Comment

Also, if (like me) your C drive is pretty full. you can open UDKEngine.ini in ..\UDKGame\Config
                    and edit the line ScreenShotPath= to be something like
                    ScreenShotPath=E:\ScreenShots
                    (or whatever drive letter you have that has more space)

Comment

Cheers guys, this is really helpful.

Just so that I'm not being incredibly dense, by 'Command Line' do you all mean Windows Command Prompt?

As in, typing
                      "C:\Program Files\Unreal Tournament 3\Binaries\ut3.exe" VCTF-RailsFight_3_New.ut3 -useunpublished -dumpmovie -windowed -benchmark -resx=1600 -resy=1200
                      into Windows' CMD.exe would produce Bitmap images for each frame of a video rendered at 1600 x 1200 on the map 'VCTF-RailsFight_3_New.ut3' at 30fps in UT3?

Sorry for being a bit slow, but I'm just having one of those days.

Comment

It was a 'yes' by the way

Comment

Working...
                        X