Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Preorders allowed for your game with UDK?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Are Preorders allowed for your game with UDK?

    Thread title.

    I'd like to develop a game using UDK and take advance preorders.

    Does the license allow this?

    #2
    It would likely fall under the revenue restrictions outlined in the standard license, though your best bet would be to shoot the licensing guys an email to see if they have better details.

    Comment


      #3
      It will fall under the revenue restrictions, as a direct proft is being made from the game product.

      I'd consider advance orders on an otherwise incomplete indie game a relatively bad idea anyway, since it's hard to give reasonable estimations of completion.

      Comment


        #4
        ambershee speaks the truth, heed it well.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by ambershee View Post
          It will fall under the revenue restrictions, as a direct proft is being made from the game product.

          I'd consider advance orders on an otherwise incomplete indie game a relatively bad idea anyway, since it's hard to give reasonable estimations of completion.
          relatively a 'badder' idea. but not necessarily unachievable.
          works if you can constantly publish updates incrementally on your game and also provided that the updates are impressive.

          http://www.interstellarmarines.com/ <-- this indie game have already collected lots of pre-order and many are still coming. The best part, they don't even have an estimation time.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by ambershee View Post
            It will fall under the revenue restrictions, as a direct profit is being made from the game product.

            I'd consider advance orders on an otherwise incomplete indie game a relatively bad idea anyway, since it's hard to give reasonable estimations of completion.
            Unless said indie game studio has produced stuff to a decent quality before hand then it's a different matter knowing they can and will produce something playable rather than take your cash and run.

            That marines game looks quite good for a unity based game (most of the other stuff I've seen is worse than pants).

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by frozenfire2 View Post
              relatively a 'badder' idea. but not necessarily unachievable.
              works if you can constantly publish updates incrementally on your game and also provided that the updates are impressive.

              http://www.interstellarmarines.com/ <-- this indie game have already collected lots of pre-order and many are still coming. The best part, they don't even have an estimation time.
              The game looks ok :0) , but i will make my own in udk :0)

              Comment


                #8
                oh boy.^^
                that is going to be epic.
                become a hero!

                Comment


                  #9
                  Anyone want to pre-order my UDK MMO? I just thought it up 10 seconds ago. It's gonna be awesome. You buy you buy

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by frozenfire2 View Post
                    relatively a 'badder' idea. but not necessarily unachievable.
                    works if you can constantly publish updates incrementally on your game and also provided that the updates are impressive.

                    http://www.interstellarmarines.com/ <-- this indie game have already collected lots of pre-order and many are still coming. The best part, they don't even have an estimation time.
                    unity is made for less advanced games,hell a 3 year old could create a game on that engine.
                    [exaggerating a bit,but you get the point.]
                    that game would've been amazing in udk,too bad they went with unity.
                    [i use unity for platforming games,and 2d style games,so the engine is great for different uses.]

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I /sign
                      that thing with: even a 3 years old could create games on that engine.

                      I tried Unity before UDK and it was fun for itself. Everything is pretty simple but I'm a gfx nerd so I moved to UDK
                      Even though Unity has a badass exporter. Srsly browser + iphone games!
                      but well, where is a reason why I'm using ue3 and not unity.
                      and that is not only the free-thing part.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by frozenfire2 View Post
                        relatively a 'badder' idea. but not necessarily unachievable.
                        works if you can constantly publish updates incrementally on your game and also provided that the updates are impressive.

                        http://www.interstellarmarines.com/ <-- this indie game have already collected lots of pre-order and many are still coming. The best part, they don't even have an estimation time.
                        Nice to see someone with some actual business/production sense.

                        Thank you.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Forsaken View Post
                          I /sign
                          that thing with: even a 3 years old could create games on that engine.

                          I tried Unity before UDK and it was fun for itself. Everything is pretty simple but I'm a gfx nerd so I moved to UDK
                          Even though Unity has a badass exporter. Srsly browser + iphone games!
                          but well, where is a reason why I'm using ue3 and not unity.
                          and that is not only the free-thing part.

                          UDK is not exactly free. It's a tradeoff due to the 25% part. Unity is way cheaper. That is why you cannot compare it side by side in that manner.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Unity isn't cheaper if you don't sell $5000 worth of product

                            Comment


                              #15
                              depends. unity has the indie version which is competely free (either commercial or nonprofit usage) but lacks features.

                              anyway, engine comparing is not allowed on these forums.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X