This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the point?

I am confused what the difference is between the UDK and the editor that comes with Unreal Tournament 3. Like, why should I switch over to the UDK when I already have the UT3 editor?

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=718324 read

Comment

The UT3 Editor is for creating mods for Unreal Tournament. The UDK is for creating indie games that don't require any software apart from what is installed during the game setup.

I know this is a fairly bad explanation, sorry.

Comment

UDK have alot of features UT3 have not (via updates), and new features seems to be added all the time (check update notes since release).

Also UT3 is for UT3 game, with UDK you can make whatever you want, and sell it

Comment

UT3's editor is for modding UT3 and only UT3.

The UDK is Unreal Engine 3 with monthly updates used for making your own games.

Comment

LoL! xD Seriously, this should really be a sticky.

Comment

I bet if we keep posting in this thread it will eventually be upgraded to Sticky Status.

Hmmm.... what to say......

I don't get it. Can more people explain it to me?

Comment

I've been trying to compile an FAQ in my spare time, but I don't seem to get a lot of that these days. I think this questions will be first on the list.

Comment

I read this thread, but it just seemed like some guy was b!tching about nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Flak View Post
                    I've been trying to compile an FAQ in my spare time, but I don't seem to get a lot of that these days. I think this questions will be first on the list.
                    Thanks Flak!

Comment

UDK and UT3 are fairly different things. You could think of UT3 as UDK's child. A same system as UDK was used to develop UT3. UDK is the kit Epic Games and their licensees use to create new games. UT3 is one of these games.

For UT3 you can create maps and mods, but you're restricted to what UT3 is restricted to. With UDK you can bypass the restriction and create a new game which is wholly yours, without the need of UT3. UDK compiles executables that install games such as UT3.

Eventhough the two seem similar, UDK sports a newer engine version too, which includes things such as global illumination, fracture meshes, navigation meshes, etc.

To sum it up: if you wan't to make maps for UT3 and mod UT3, stay with UT3. If you want to make your very own complete game, hop over to UDK.

Comment

Then I guess I'll stick with UT3. I personally don't find the tools that Epic makes to be very user-friendly. Having to learn more of them just seems like a pain.

Comment

Originally posted by Dehron_Samiel View Post
                          Then I guess I'll stick with UT3. I personally don't find the tools that Epic makes to be very user-friendly. Having to learn more of them just seems like a pain.
                          That's the point. They developed the tools for professionals who have money to back them up and can rewrite them as they see fit.

The UDK is an attempt at making those tools available to a larger base. The downside is is it's slightly buggy, as any software is when made available to the masses to put it through its paces.

Fortunately the transition from UT3 to UDK is very painless. It's practically the exact same engine, just with lightmass and more UI options.

Comment

Aldaron07:

If you think that they made something intentionally NOT user-friendly because they were assuming other people would eventually refactor them, you are sorely mistaken. The reason they did it is because they are a bunch of programmers and most programmers are lazy. I should know, I am a programmer and so I work with a bunch of lazy programmers all day long.

Don't get me wrong; Epic has done a bunch of great stuff for the industry. But they are filthy rich and they should be doing more.

Comment

Originally posted by Dehron_Samiel View Post
                              Aldaron07:

If you think that they made something intentionally NOT user-friendly because they were assuming other people would eventually refactor them, you are sorely mistaken. The reason they did it is because they are a bunch of programmers and most programmers are lazy. I should know, I am a programmer and so I work with a bunch of lazy programmers all day long.

Don't get me wrong; Epic has done a bunch of great stuff for the industry. But they are filthy rich and they should be doing more.
                              There is a huge difference between the kind of SDK you can give to a studio like Ubisoft Montreal to start with and the average joe who makes $15 fixing cars all day long.

I assume they made an good SDK (and it must be if companies keep paying massive license fees to keep using it project after project instead of making their own engines) that they know is aimed towards professionals and not a wide audience then they suddenly make it available to millions without giving it a massive overhaul to make it stupidly easy to use like today's most common operating systems.

That's no reason to be lazy, but they clearly aren't since not many other companies are making game engines of the quality UE has provided over the years, especially making those high quality engines available for free. I'd call that a passion for their trade and a curiosity to see what the community can whip up with the necessary tools.

I personally don't know if they should be doing more. That's an opinion you happen to have that I'm sure others do as well. But they did just give you access to a game engine that studios reportedly pay $700,000 or more for for each project. Surely you can't begrudge them for that just because you don't have the programs (many of which are available for free) or knowledge (also free to learn) to make your own content and would rather have art assets handed to you apparently.

Comment

Working...
                              X