Massively Cooperative Multiplayer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Massively Cooperative Multiplayer?

There are many threads dedicated to the prospect of utilizing the UDK as a tool for creating an MMO. I see the appeal--diving deep into a fictional world with many hundreds of acres and miles to explore is appealing. So many places to go, so much time to spend adventuring--but there is a definite problem.

The UDK is not built for MMOs. Yes, Unreal Engine 3 has been used to create MMO's commercially, but that was with a large development team and access to the source code to make major changes to the engine. If I remember rightly, UDK has a capacity for 64 players on a server. That's not massive.

But playing Borderlands, I realize that there is untapped potential in what may become a new type of game--the Massively Cooperative. Ever played Synergy? It's great fun to go through an action-packed story with a few of your friends. The success of games like Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2 also reinforce the idea that you don't have to have an MMO to get the "feel" of an MMO.

How large is an average raiding party in World of Warcraft? Let's say it's twelve people--twelve people is more than enough for the UDK to handle on a single server, and if everybody's playing the same game, they have the same assets, same levels, everything, and all you need to worry about is getting them in-game and playing any particular mission.

It's even feasible that a person's weapons/armor could carry over from their own game into the online mode--and whatever they find while playing cooperatively, they can keep.

I like that there's so much enthusiasm for making games with this stuff, but an MMO requires far too much work for a small dev team to accomplish--that is, unless they want to do something like a MUD.

Just an idea I had kicking around in my head so I thought I'd share.

It's not 'massive'. That's all just online cooperative play. Which most people won't pay for if it's only for one game. What would feel like an MMO, to me anyway, is two thousand people that I can talk to. Not twelve friends.

Comment

I'm currently working on something similar to your idea already.

And going back to one of my earlier replies on another forum. Runescape was started with 2 brothers. Apple was started with 2 guys in a garage. The only big problem that the UDK presents is poor networking for a massive multiplayer. But you're right the average MMO takes a lot more work than any other game.

I personally think MMO's are really over rated anyway. Give me any game that I can play with some of my friends anyday.

And with regards to UnspoiledWalnut: People will pay for a game based on co-op. Not monthly of course. But it doesn't have to be massive... The game not being massive actually solves a lot of problems. You just have to think outside the box a little. There are work arounds.

Comment

Massively co-op = Team deathmatch with one team, or invasion. Hardly a new concept

Comment

Working...
        X