Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blender/-Assets.~

Hi UDK users :]
    Ive been using udk since it came out late october. After watching 20-30 hours tutorials (and reading waaaay more about it) Ive created a few maps with the included assets. (So I know how to use udk)~..
    Now i want to create my "own" levels with my "own" assets ^^.
    I know Blender very well but I heard its difficult to get your meshes into udk, isnt it?
    Anyways, is there a plug-in, or a way to make that easier? (Or is there a other way to solve this problem; thats already in udk/blender?)
    -

Yours
    Black2key

I am not that familiar with Blender as of now, but I bet there are external scripts that export to .ase, which can be imported to UDK with no hassle. Although I've heard there are several .ase exporters and each have their quirks and goods. Make a google search with "Blender ase export".

Comment

the Goofos ASE export tool works pretty well as long as you are using standard geometry, not NURBS or anything special.

The only Blender shortcoming I have found is that it is incapable of doing characters for UDK/UT3.

Comment

Thanks for these 2 answers ;D
        I found goofos ase. export but after exporting some files I found it laborious. (I could still do that if there were no other solutions, but it would be a time-consuming method...)
        Are there any other programs that are good for creating meshes?
        (I know Maya, 3dsmax, zbrush but these are WAY to overpriced.)
        (Dont get me wrong, I love Blender but its "awful" compatiblity with udk ... gosh..)

Yours
        Black2key

Comment

If I remember correctly, someone figured out how to convert SketchUp files to UE. Other than that, I don't know of any programs that don't cost an arm and a leg.

Comment

What issues are you running into? I'm using goofosASE-2.44v0.6.11.py and it's as simple as selecting my mesh, exporting it with a scale, and importing into the UDK.

Comment

Oh, ive no issues with the script
              the only problem is that it isnt compitable with 2.5~ (only up to 2.49)

Comment

Originally posted by Black2key View Post
                Oh, ive no issues with the script
                the only problem is that it isnt compitable with 2.5~ (only up to 2.49)
                Are there other export options in the 2.5 alpha? Such as .obj or .dae?

Comment

Blender 2.50 alpha 0 is for just for testing. Script doesn't work this since there a new format for blender and python.

Comment

Actually, the newest build of the 2.5 Alpha 0 (You can find it here: http://www.graphicall.org/builds/ - Just select the proper version and unzip it to the Blender Foundation folder) has native Collada import and Export scripts, though I have yet to test it.

It also has native .obj and 3ds import/export functions as usual.

As far as StaticMeshes, I don't see any reason you couldn't open the .blend file in the older version (I haven't hit a snag yet) to use the .ase export script.

After spending so long getting used to Blender's old interface, I am hitting minor snags with the new UI while I learn the new layout, which is actually feeling a lot more like Max.

NOTE: You WILL have to actually install the alpha first from Blender's site, the above download only includes some updated files and scripts.

Comment

Thanks for the answers ^^
                      Yep, the script doesnt work with 2.5 a0 or a1. I hope when the last 2,5 build will be released and turns into the full "2.6", there will be a support for the udk.
                      -
                      @Shade: Thats a great idea ~ / Though I havent tried it out yet~

Comment

Originally posted by ShadeMistress View Post
                        Actually, the newest build of the 2.5 Alpha 0 (You can find it here: http://www.graphicall.org/builds/ - Just select the proper version and unzip it to the Blender Foundation folder) has native Collada import and Export scripts, though I have yet to test it.

It also has native .obj and 3ds import/export functions as usual.

As far as StaticMeshes, I don't see any reason you couldn't open the .blend file in the older version (I haven't hit a snag yet) to use the .ase export script.

After spending so long getting used to Blender's old interface, I am hitting minor snags with the new UI while I learn the new layout, which is actually feeling a lot more like Max.

NOTE: You WILL have to actually install the alpha first from Blender's site, the above download only includes some updated files and scripts.
                        I have to agree with you on the new UI. It definitely feels like they're trying to make it like other modeling packages, rather than it's own.

I just really hope they bring back my spacebar menu.

Comment

Working...
                        X