Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple game = min 300 mb ?

Hi

I have a question about the packing of a game.

I made very simple level with only a box, light and player start.
    I cooked the map and run the "package game". But the thing is
    that the packed game has over 100 mb and after installation nearly
    300 mb!

Is this normal? Do I need so much files to run my very simple game? Or is there a way to "slim" the game?

Cheers,
    Lucas

Have you defined your own game? If not you are packaging the UT demo.
    There's a few .ini configurations to specify that you are running your own show, and which packages to always pack etc.

Comment

First of all, thank you for fast replay

Well.. I haven`t defined it. I don`t know what to change in these ini files.
      Can You give me a tip what do I need to change? or maybe there is a tutorial which I missed?

PS. I am not very good in coding. I am CG artist

Cheers,
      Lucas

Comment

Check out http://www.toltecstudios.com/theball/tutorialudk.htm . Specifically there's a couple of sections in the start and end about what you need to setup in the ini files. Probably a few more tweaks you could make there, many of the properties are pretty straightforward to understand. The key is that the packager will package everything you reference in your game and levels.

It probably will appear relatively large anyway if all you add is a simple room There's likely a lot of references you won't catch with a starter tutorial, such as character models etc.

Comment

I will take a look on that

Can You tell me what is the difference between the Default*** and UT** INI files?
          I know that the UT files are created when I start the game. But when I cook my level the Frontend takes into account only the Default*** files. So, where do I need the UT files for?

Cheers,
          Lucas

Comment

You need the UT files to save the user settings. If the user changes his resolution, that is stored in the UTEngine.ini

You don't want the user to overwrite the DefaultEngine, it is default after all.

You don't really need to touch the UT ones when making a game, working with the Default ones will do just fine. If you make changes in those, those changes will reflect into the UT ones anyhow.

Comment

ok, I get it thanks for reply

so, I found another stuff to ask:
              1. When I packed my game I found something like that: Windows\UE3Redist.exe (60 mb)
              which I don`t need to run my game. So where it is in the INI files to turn it off there?

2.What are the RefShaderCache-PC-D3D-SM files for? Well, I guess that there are for the shaders but I have three of them which give me another 140 mb. I deleted one of them (100 mb) and my simple game works fine. So, what are they for and where can I control these files ?

After deleting some files my game (well just a box ) now weights 140 mb from 300! I think thats a lot.

Cheers,
              Lucsa

cheers,
              lucas

Comment

Working...
              X