Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

UDK Wish List

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UDK Wish List

Hi everyone,

Ok, I don't really know if there is already a post about that or if epic staff come some time read the forum, but maybe it could be a good idea to make a wish list of what the community would like to see in new versions of UDK.

This is obviously a wish list, and maybe (or certainly) will never be add into next versions of UDK.

So, if you are interested by that, just tell what you would like to see into UDK, and I will copy your wishes into the first post, to better visibility

I start, this is why I think it could be useful, but maybe not for everyone, but it's a wish list, anyone can put want you want

-------

Wish list:

Editor:
    • 64 bit version and the ability to make 64 bit exes for the game
    • The ability to explicitly define what packages (be it .u, .bik, or any UDK related files) are included in packaged builds.
    • Mac OS X Version
    • 3d mouse support in the editor

Interface:
    • Location, Rotation, Scale values into the boxes on the bottom (for now, just for scale) depends on what widget you are using.
    • You know how you can resize the viewports in the editor? Well, you adjust the verticle and horizontal dividers one at a time. I wish that it was like 3ds Max, where you could select their crossing and move both at once. It'd just make it a little faster.
    • Guidelines in editor, just like ones in photoshop dragged from rulers. It would really helpfull in ortographics views

Lighting:
    • a dynamic volumetric light beam system (like god rays)
    • improve the engine to accept full dynamic lighting
      like some games where the player can built the level, so you need dynamic lighting, such as Little Big Planet
    • Caustic underwater lighting
    • Cascade shadow variance

Materials:
    • Parallax occlusion mapping

Characters:
    • Build-In character parts support

Physics:
    • Give Fracture a way of knowing when it's top heavy, or when there's not enough support to hold up what's above it. Additionally I'd like more options for how the chunks are affected by physics and gameplay
    • Better physics based water

FX:
    • Real Time Mesh Deformation.
    • Allows for per-pixel or per-vertex deformation of any mesh via physics/scripting.
    • Object motion blur would be nice
    • Decal Actors that can be used with Dynamic Skeletal Meshes (i.e Vehicles, Players, and such)

Tools:
    • Using the Static mesh tools with a paint brush like in terrain
    • River & Road Tools for outdoor levels. Just like ones in SandBox 2
    • Fracture tool and vertex painting compatible with procBuilding. It's sad to had to rethink a level to use new feature and since probuilding use static mesh I doesn't seems so unrealistic.

Terrain:
    • Can set the density option of foliage meshes into a terrain material lower than 1
    • Voxel tool like in CryEngine 2

Render:
    • Stereoscopic 3D
    • DX11 Support
    • Full Deffered Rendering

Swarm:
    • Stop putting UnrealLightmass.exe in unique folders. This way our firewalls don't have to be turned off
    • The ability for Lightmass to autosave at set intervals, and resume upon restart

Programming:
    • A way to intergrate our third party plugins into UDK, that would solve it all, for example, make an Interface version of the Render system, enable us to re-implement it entirely in C/C++ using DLLBind, and that's it, Plugins like PureLIGHT, LightsSprint available in UDK
    • Original camera back for "behindview" and the gears camera for "behindview2."
    • De-Nativization of the UTUIFrontEnd_MapSelection. Just some sort of interface to see what maps are in the default folders. Pain to have to write up a new map parsing system for this.
    • A UI system that a mortal person can understand.
      The UIScene/DataStore system is so needlessly complex, and so native-code-dependant, that the entire system is pretty much useless. Every project I've been involved with that needed anything more than simple push-buttons, has either ditched UDK or implemented their own UI in uscript - something that absolutely should not be necessary.

Third party:
    • Scaleform
    • Actorx plugin for blender
    • Actorx plugin for Cinema4D

Documentation:
    • A Detailed Tutorial about Vehicles/Char/Weapons
      ( With adding a good standard script example added to engine that only needs
      replacement of names// "names of meshes" etc ( without the scorpiongun-/-knives ) just a standard sheet for char models/ gun models/ vehicle models
    • Some deeper Phat info
    • Some explanation on the ProcBuilding

Stereoscopic 3D

I've been trying to make it work and nobody was able to answer my questions in this topic and from what I can tell, I believe this is related to swap chain which I don't think we have access to. It works perfectly with UT2004 and UT3. Really not sure why it doesn't work in UDK.

Comment

I want something like UnrealEd for fans to make maps for my games.

Comment

what ??????

Comment

Originally posted by Mightylink View Post
          I want something like UnrealEd for fans to make maps for my games.
          Agreed, redistributable UnrealEd.

Comment

DX11
            That's my main thing for now

Comment

SpeedGrass
              I 2nd DX11
              64 bit version
              Bik converter
              Imposters
              Volumetric Fog
              FS Shader Editor
              Neck plugs into our cerebral cortex to convert thoughts into games.

Comment

I 2nd 64 bit version too ^_^

Almost everyone these days has it but very few games are using it.

I notice the lightmass generator is 64bit though thats a big help.

Comment

Dynamic Sunshafts (aka Dynamic Volumetric Lighting).
                  Build-In character parts support.

Comment

There's very few ways for games to use it.

Major advantage is extra memory... and we're not really seeing games need to push over 4 GB of assets. (Lightmass raytracing could easily see that kind of memory usage though... even double that.)

You also get some advantages of extra registers and such -- but you don't ever see that benefit speed... not sure why. You'd think someone would have done some optimization in the assembly-level... and some compilers for higher level languages would be able to use them as at least cache -- but I guess not enough to increase the performance by any measurable amount.

Comment

Originally posted by Ziboo View Post
                      improve the engine to accept full dynamic lighting
                      Why request something that already exists?

Comment

I did alot of work with the Source engine and Id like to see some of the nice things from that engine like the ropes and volumetric lighting like was previously mentioned.

I would LOVE a voxel tool like in CryEngine 2 but it would have to be better than that one because there are irritating issues with it.

Comment

Originally posted by taz1004 View Post
                          Stereoscopic 3D

I've been trying to make it work and nobody was able to answer my questions in this topic and from what I can tell, I believe this is related to swap chain which I don't think we have access to. It works perfectly with UT2004 and UT3. Really not sure why it doesn't work in UDK.
                          So, as I know there is a way to make it manually with PostProcessingEffect or rendering into two textures from two cameras and post process it to make a result image.

Comment

My Epic Wishlist!

My Epic Wishlist !

1: A Detailed Tutorial ( all in 1 movie!!! // not that 20x 5 min. vids from all different people that lack all kinds of information /
                            about importing/creating custom content like: Vehicles/Char/Weapons
                            ( With adding a good standard script example added to engine that only needs
                            replacement of names// "names of meshes" etc ( without the scorpiongun-/-knives ) just a standard sheet for char models/ gun models/ vehicle models

(2) some deeper Phat info,

(3) some explanation on the ProcBuilding / if it is what i think that it is, it would save us loads of time.

this is a start ^^
                            il add more later

greetz
                            Dion

ps: anyone else besides epic have any info for me on the above subjects,
                            please msg me

Comment

Originally posted by Hitpawz View Post
                              SpeedGrass
                              You can make grass with SpeedTree quite easily.

I 2nd DX11
                              Sure, if you can name a single feature in Dx11 that might actually be useful. Takes a lot of code to get Dx11 support rolling.

Bik converter
                              Look harder. The tool for this is free, and always has been.

Volumetric Fog
                              This is just a shader in reality. It can be done already (and has been done )

Comment

Working...
                              X