No announcement yet.

UDK Wish List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The ability for Lightmass to autosave at set intervals, and resume upon restart. This way if your computer crashes midbuild then you can pick up from the last autosave. Additionally, you could start it up, then stop it for a while, then start it up again without any problems. I think that this would be very convinient for people who don't have a huge swarm farm running in their basements.

Comment

Wacom support.

I switch between Blender, PS and UDK a lot, I use the stylus for everything, but when I switch to UDK the cursor goes bananas and I have to grab the mouse which is quite annoying and breaks the work flow...

Comment

Originally posted by Havoc89 View Post
        Object motion blur would be nice. Having motion blur only when the camera moves doesnt exactly sell the effect. If a camera remains stationary and something goes by the camera it should have motion blur on it. Another example would be something spinning like a fan.
        UDK already has this.

Comment

Decal Actors that can be used with Dynamic Skeletal Meshes (i.e Vehicles, Players, and such)

Comment

A UI system that a mortal person can understand.

The UIScene/DataStore system is so needlessly complex, and so native-code-dependant, that the entire system is pretty much useless. Every project I've been involved with that needed anything more than simple push-buttons, has either ditched UDK or implemented their own UI in uscript - something that absolutely should not be necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Blade[UG] View Post
              A UI system that a mortal person can understand.

The UIScene/DataStore system is so needlessly complex, and so native-code-dependant, that the entire system is pretty much useless. Every project I've been involved with that needed anything more than simple push-buttons, has either ditched UDK or implemented their own UI in uscript - something that absolutely should not be necessary.
              Also doing this - our UI system, when in a state comparative to the UDK system will be available to other developers, complete with external scene editor.

Comment

UDK MMO server

I would love to have a server for UDK that is capable of an MMO without the need of scripting.

Comment

You are joking, right?

Comment

creative1, i suppose your new to game development, since your post kinds of gives that suspicion away.

scripting is allways required, how would an engine/server know how to deal with the dataflow?
                    the events, etc etc etc..

although, a dedicated server instance of udk, on which you can hook, and build, so people can run the dedicated server an connect to them through the client, would be a nice addition. (lowers overhead for the serving part, (CPU/memory required on the server) A full game entity is always heavier than a ded. server entity.

As for MMOG, it's complex to program/script, and also to maintain operational. it's very expensive (thousands of servers/routers/housing etc etc, hardware upgrades, marketing, programming, security, bandwith, personel (managers, programmers, scripters, security dep., legal dep., marketing, financial dep. etc etc)
                    it's a big undertake, with lots of risks involved. Even Major companies (multi billion), don't dare the risk.

Comment

Originally posted by ambershee View Post
                      You are joking, right?
                      You know he isn't.......

Comment

Improved normal mapping is important, like parallax occlusion or cone step mapping.

64 bit version of the editor will improve performance.

Comment

You can do things like parallax occlusion mapping and most likely cone step mapping in UDK already.

As for dedicated servers, I'm pretty sure UDK can already be run in dedicated server mode out of the box, just like all the other incarnations of UE3 games?

Comment

Really really small thing, but it bugs the hell out of me. When working in GoW and UT3 the widget is really easy to grab, for some reason in UDK I'm sure I press it but for some reason it doesn't register. I end up doing mad 360's and zooming round my map like a mad man when I'm trying to rotate or move an object.

I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but maybe making the widgets hit box more responsive or larger might solve it?

Cheers

Comment

Please make placing decals this good in UDK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZKMjbqgMI0

Also, is this a bug or what, kind of hard to explain, but when I'm moving a brush using the widget, I let go of my mouse and the brush isn't let go where I let go, it's moved slightly. So to get it to the right spot, I have to grab it again, drag the widget, but not till the point where the whole brush actually moves, just a little bit, then let go, and the brush pops into place.

I think I might have to make a video to show it.

Comment

Here are some of my ideas.

User Interface Handling

In the UDK it's hard to switch the mode of view (Top/Front/...), cause I’m nearly always used to maximize the viewport for a better overview. I think a shortcut for each like it's for the different view types (Unlit/Lit/Light Only/...) would be better. Some kind of logical keys could enhance the handling of it, so "Alt + P" for perspective, "Alt + T" for top, "Alt + S" for side and "Alt + F" for front view.

Addition: I just figured out that "Alt+S+Click" is already assigned so may the "F"-Keys(F1, F2...) or "Alt + F-Key" are some alternatives for switching the view ports.

Weather Actor

Because of the much snow here in Germany I thought about a kind of Actor that could make such weather effects easier to let them look more realistic. Like so: You could split the weather in actually two parts; 'what's falling down' and 'what's then on the ground'. To make clear you also have to differentiate between Snow and Rain, because snow is mostly accumulates on the ground while rain just drop down and flows away(in most cases you couldn't really see that it flows, it's kind of invisible). So rain could be easy done with a decal-particle emitter combination, but for the snow you have to do more. I thought about a kind of "LightMap". So the WeatherActor acts like a static-directional light and projects invisible light on the surfaces. That creates the 'WeatherMap'(this is even the way for the rain WeatherActor to apply the decal on the surfaces, what it actually already does). To simulate the snow on the surfaces there should be some parameters like "How much snow should fall down", "How big the snowflakes are" and "How fast the snow falls down". Out of this parameters the Engine can calculate the heights of the "snow hills" and the strength of the fade effect on the outer edges of the snow areas(because snow areas got always "rounded" edges on surfaces). So the snow WeatherActor is a bit more complex: a particle emitter for the snow and snow areas calculated through the WeatherMap all controlled by the parameters. That's the idea.

Addition: An extra idea for Rain-WeatherActor in relation to the 'WeatherMap'. To get the look more realistic it would be a possibility to determine how the water flow down. You set up a point or better a plane at the lowest level of the map in this way you can get the angle of surfaces and so the direction and the speed of the water caused by the gravitation.

Heat Setting

Another interesting feature for the snow(so solid water), rain and other chemical fluids would be a "Heat" parameter for all static and skeletical meshes. So you can set how hot something is our could be. Those parameter would expand the WeatherActor, especially snow, so that you can control the height of the snow. So the WeatherMap isn't only two colored('here is snow'/'here is no snow') anymore. It's multi colored like if you use a thermographic camera. Otherwise the Heat could be used for particle emitter, for simulate e.g. water drops down on a hot surface and vaporizes in the actual color of the fluid(If it's kind of toxic green acid, then it would vaporize green). So it's a kind of a particle emitter setting for everything which appears upon a certain value of heat.

Integration of Content

As I have installed UT3 and Borderlands on my PC I would like to import those content/packages. So not coping all files, but like an extra category in the content browser in which you can set up a directory path so the browser includes that content as well when it start up.

Mesh-Terrain

This should make it easier to model the ground with static meshes in a more or less realistic way. It's like a terrain but with the difference that you don't have a real surface that you model but a surface made out of static meshed which fit together. For Example paving stones. So each vertex of the Mesh-Terrain is assigned to Static Mesh. And if you model it the collision of the surfaces of the Meshes will be considered.

Comment

Working...
                                X