UDK Wish List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok
    so what is required is a way of finding out the most common things that people would like to know how to do.
    cameras, vehicles, characters, weapons and controls would be a nice start.
    there are tutorials about these things, but for myself, i only manage to get something working by piecing together bits of different tutorials and doing some experimentation, usualy due to a badly written tutorial or because its about UT3 and some things are different in UDK.
    please people dont argue for the sake of it.
    try and be constructive.

Comment

Originally posted by tegleg View Post
      idealy everything
      but take a look at how many posts in this forum are asking about how to do simple things, if the documentation existed they wouldnt have to ask in here.
      It is highly unrealistic to expect tutorials on how to do "everything". "Everything" does not exist. There are an infinite amount of subjects in "everything". With that said, if you and anyone else reading this want to make a list of subjects, projects, etc. that you would like documentation, tutorials, examples, etc. over and (and this is important) would benefit a large number of UDK users please post it. There are people who are very interested and committed to improving what is available in the form of official documentation, tutorials, examples, etc. Any ideas or requests people have are certainly welcome.

Comment

there
        http://utforums.epicgames.com/showth...3#post27188233
        i said beginner tutorials so it doesnt get flooded with obscure advanced stuff

Comment

Above all, instant gratification is what I want...

No seriously, I want it now!!!

Other than that, I'm a hotkey junky so I'd really like to see a hot key editor that allows me to bind anything to anything. Also, call me crazy, but I think it would be beneficial to all if the UnrealED UI could be completely rewritten to allow total customization similar to Luxology Modo's Frames...which is insanely fast in terms that you could rearrange the entire ui within minutes to fit whatever workflow you're trying to push out.

Eventually, I can see people building entire careers out of certain areas of the Editor...oh wait, they are....So lets hear it for a Future Ready UI?

Comment

Now that the Geforce GTX 400 series is out I desperately want DX11!!!

I don't have a card that supports it, but I will in the future. I know that they never really used DX10 that much in UE3 games, but if they can make it run well then DX11 would be amazing. I want tessellation!

Comment

Originally posted by micahpharoh View Post

I don't have a card that supports it, but I will in the future. I know that they never really used DX10 that much in UE3 games, but if they can make it run well then DX11 would be amazing. I want tessellation!
              Your answer is next iteration of Unreal Engine. Who knows. it might not be even UE4.

Comment

Originally posted by iniside View Post
                Your answer is next iteration of Unreal Engine. Who knows. it might not be even UE4.
                Bah. I reject bad news as if it weren't so

But Aliens vs Predator was recently released with the UE3, and it has DX11. Did they integrate it themselves, or was it Epic, and they haven't given it to us yet?

Comment

Originally posted by micahpharoh View Post

DX10 support, from what i've heard from other people, is pretty much non-existent. Turn it on, and watch the game die.

Comment

Originally posted by Blade[UG] View Post
                    DX10 support, from what i've heard from other people, is pretty much non-existent. Turn it on, and watch the game die.
                    It does work, but doesn't run the best on all computers.

Comment

From what i've -heard-, i don't have experience in this, even the most powerful computers couldn't get DX10 to run worth much

Comment

Originally posted by Blade[UG] View Post
                        even the most powerful computers couldn't get DX10 to run worth much
                        My computer runs it fine, but it really wasn't optimized as well as it could have been. Well, it's mostly because it had to run on the then new Windows Vista, which really wasn't optimized. It's much better on Windows 7.

Comment

The fault doesn't lie so much with DX10 itself as with the games written to it and how they're using it. By making DX10 Vista only MS essentially ensured that games would be written to DX9 for the foreseeable future since XP, 2 operating system later, is still the most installed OS out there by a margin of about 3 to 1.

So DX10 (and DX11) features tend to be tacked onto a DX9 based core late in development and don't get the time and energy required as they're only serving a small percentage of people who have both the hardware and software required. Plus the 360 supports a modified DX9 so if you're going cross platform it's even less worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Makaze View Post
                            Plus the 360 supports a modified DX9 so if you're going cross platform it's even less worth it.
                            Yeah, and the PS3 doesn't use DirectX at all, so . . .

Comment

A feature that could help a lot is allow copy/cut and paste node elements between different material editor windows.

Best!

Comment

That's a whole other deal, the PS3 uses it's own graphics API so you've got to have another renderer for it. It's completely different so people are writing straight to that rather than making a core PC/360 DX9 renderer and modifying it slightly for the platform and DX flavors which is where the problems come in.

The PS3 renderer also generally gets tested sufficiently (like the core DX9 renderer) both due to Sony mandated QA and the fact that it's potentially a giant chunk of your market.

Comment

Working...
                                X