Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to create UDK Grappling Gun Prototype ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to create UDK Grappling Gun Prototype ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmlIA...eature=related

the custom gun very cool , the function for force direct player to target , how to do this ?

Dude I even wrote in the comments exactly how :/

Code:
    Force = Normal(Destination - Instigator.Location);
    Sets the direction, where Destination is a custom variable and is the location of my projectile.

Code:
    Instigator.Velocity += DeltaTime * Force;
    Actually pushes the player. I also explain how I'm "roughing" centripetal force in the comments. In the future, write me a PM, don't start a thread I'm glad you like it though, I'm actually working on a real physics implementation, that prototype is about 2 months old now.

Comment

Sorry to be a super-noob but where would your write that

Comment

just what i was looking for, any chance we can get a download for this?

Comment

Originally posted by danimal' View Post

Code:
          Sets the direction, where Destination is a custom variable and is the location of my projectile.

Code:
          Actually pushes the player. I also explain how I'm "roughing" centripetal force in the comments. In the future, write me a PM, don't start a thread I'm glad you like it though, I'm actually working on a real physics implementation, that prototype is about 2 months old now.
          SO thank , but uscript is my weaknesses

Comment

i dont even know where to put this

Comment

You need to learn how to do custom weapons. I realize there is a general lack of documentation out there (I griped about it when I started), but the best you can do is:

- Follow a few custom weapon tutorials out there (that do more than copy an existing weapon), e.g., Ambershees moddb tutorials (use google).
              - Dig through the example weapons provided to you, including checking out the UT3 ones (UT3's source code is available online regardless of whether you bought it, search for UT3 exported script). I learned by opening up UTWeap_whatever and trying my best to understand what on earth it was doing.
              - Learn unrealscripting more generally. A weapon is just unrealscript like anything else, check out the UDN's site for programming, follow tutorials, and consider a book like Mastering Unreal (which is due out next month). If you understand how to use unrealscript generally, you can make a weapon.

I'm frankly too busy to make a tutorial myself, because most people who want to follow it would have 0 background and as I've found to my annoyance, require days of support and a ton of hand holding as they rarely follow directions explicitly. I've tried giving people actual script files, but then they just come back and go "ok what do I do with this" (at which point I might as well come over and do it for them) I'm more than happy to help, but I'm not a professional or paid to teach. More so than that, they don't actually take the time to look at existing code and just want it sort of handed to them, something I am opposed to.

Short answer: there is no "place" to put this, you could have it as a function inside your weapon class, inside your pawn (player) class, from the projectile class, etc etc. As for where to put script files generally, go see a multitude of other unrealscript based tutorials.

Comment

alright thank you very much, this will help me out greatly ^_^

ya theres some serious lack in documention, it feels like epic really wants you to buy a licence, the udk feels more like a demo then an engine

Comment

Actually I think that's completely untrue. There's a TON of documentation, even on things like Weapon states. Most people, however, don't seem to take the time to go look at and read it (hence why I get a lil snippy)

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/UDKProgrammingHome.html

What people legitimtely notice, however, is that Epic won't give you a "welcome to programming" course. They assume, since they're a AAA game and engine provider, that you've got someone who already can program in C or Java. The documentation + examples are more than sufficient for someone like that. The problem is the introduction of people like yours truly and you guys who don't necessarily know squat about programming but want to. A theoretical answer for what a class, function, state, etc is, isn't terribly helpful if you're an utter newb. Hence why I strongly suggest the Mastering Unreal series.

Anyways, my answer isn't meant to be harsh or discouraging, but there's a reason there aren't custom tutorials for weapons left and right. To really walk you through, I'd have to teach you to model, uv, animate, texture and program. Which is pretty much every single task a game team can have, minus level creation. Those skills take people YEARS to learn. It's vastly easier to teach someone how to check a box in the level editor than the essential and basic skills required to make a custom weapon, start to finish. Just how it is :/

Comment

whoa thanks, actually i saw that before but it seems to be much larger now

Comment

Originally posted by danimal' View Post

Code:

Code:
                      I understand this... however, was Force a variable u made in the class? (i.e.) var float Force; ) i've tried to get this to work, but for some reason it wont compile... it wont even intellisense DeltaTime either :/...

Comment

*bump :/...

Comment

Working...
                        X