Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ipad Development with UDK? Gonna happen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ipad Development with UDK? Gonna happen?

I want to develop a game for Ipad using UDK.

But Unreal hasn't announced support for Ipad. They have however showed a Iphone vid.

Do you you think it is safe bet to start development for Ipad using UDK? Even though they haven't announced it? To me it seems like a sure fire bet.

The only thing I don't know...is how high res I should make my geometry to get an acceptable frame rate. Also..what shaders to use? Or will be supported

Nick

As far as I can tell the Ipad is more of a tablet mac rather then giant Ipod. My guess would be that it ever runs on mac it will run on the Ipad. It wont ever run well, though. I've seen the specs. A 1GHz processor and max resolution of 1024x768.

Not much of a gaming machine, IMO. Although, neither is the ipod and it's making tons of money on games.

Comment

Originally posted by micahpharoh View Post
      As far as I can tell the Ipad is more of a tablet mac rather then giant Ipod. My guess would be that it ever runs on mac it will run on the Ipad. It wont ever run well, though. I've seen the specs. A 1GHz processor and max resolution of 1024x768.

Not much of a gaming machine, IMO. Although, neither is the ipod and it's making tons of money on games.
      It's actually a giant iPod.

Why not go with the Unity Engine? They already support the iPhone/iPod Touch

Comment

I can never imagine this happening. The Ipad was never designed to be a gaming device. Just a handy little porta computer IMO. UE3 likes a good computer to run well and the IPad just would not cut it.

Comment

Originally posted by JCoelho View Post
          It's actually a giant iPod.
          According to good ol' Wikipedia
          Originally posted by Wikipedia
          The iPad is a tablet computer developed by Apple Inc. Similar in function to an iPod Touch . . .

Comment

I'd liken it to a giant iPod as opposed to an apple laptop. Everyone wanted it to be an Apple laptop, but it's mostly just a giant iPod. It still runs iPhone apps, basically does everything an iPod does, with a larger screen.

Comment

Would be interesting something i would like to see.

But i think mac support for there standard OS API would be on the agenda first.

Comment

You can rule out any possibility of UDK on the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch. Version 4 of the OS explicitly forbid it:
                3.3.1 — Applications may only use Documented APIs in the manner prescribed by Apple and must not use or call any private APIs. Applications must be originally written in Objective-C, C, C++, or JavaScript as executed by the iPhone OS WebKit engine, and only code written in C, C++, and Objective-C may compile and directly link against the Documented APIs (e.g., Applications that link to Documented APIs through an intermediary translation or compatibility layer or tool are prohibited).
                Only with a full UE3 license you will be able to create games for it.

Comment

hm I just can think about unity engine wich has already iPhone support and even for unity you have to develop your game very rescource friendly.
                  Well, I think the UE3 was never designed for low-res games. More likely to enable best graphics for next-gen consoles.

It's most likely that unity will release a iPad support. So if you really want to make games for iPad you may looking in the wrong place. Also Unity is not that "bad" compared to UE3. UE3 is just a very common AAA Game Engine. Unity is more used for mini-games for marketing of products. For example the new Axe Chocolate advertise, on their website is a "survival" game developed with unity. In which you have to run away from girls which want to have a bite of you.
                  The Problem, even the support for iPhone Games is not free.

Comment

Rummaging though the code it looks like phone development is in unreals future (Yippy!)

Comment

Originally posted by junkens View Post
                      It's most likely that unity will release a iPad support.
                      Unity already released iPad support a week or two ago, so yeah.

Comment

Originally posted by immortius View Post
                        Unity already released iPad support a week or two ago, so yeah.
                        Wow I didn't know that! Thanks for the info. Well for me it's not the prefered engine. I need sweet gfx for my thrill

Comment

You're developing for the iPad, you're not going to get any more 'sweet gfx' from UE3 than you would from Unity, since the hardware is pretty limited anyway.

Comment

Working...
                          X