How to actually get IN a team.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Do something and master it. After that learn supplemental skills (level design + asset creation or 3D modeling + animation). A level designer who can create his/her own assets or a character modeler who can animate his/her models would be a valuable addition to any team.

Unrealscript on the other hand is useful to learn (only in theory even) for anyone. Knowing the workflow itself of coding is useful when planning various things outside the code (e.g. How animations are played on characters).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Mr Evil View Post
    If you want to learn one area purely for its utility, then programming. There are few good UScript programmers around, but more importantly, they have a habit of going off doing their own thing rather than joining a team.
    If that's true, there would be no mods at all - yet there are plenty of solid ones for Unreal, which suggest to me that Unreal programmers, if anything, are often dedicated. If you're having trouble getting one to stick around, then the chances are you're doing something yourself which is making it so.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    If you serious about that hobby. Get picture of scene you like, then try to recreate it in udk. Make your own textures and props. As you said there is abundance of level designers, to stand out of crowd you need learn modeling and texturing.

And never ever go for solution you fully know how to do (unless you have deadline), always push envelope and go for something that has few new aspects for you. Many people stick to areas they know best, never learning that matine, kismet or cascade stuff. This is your hobby so push yourself further you have that luxury of being your own boss and no time constraints. Doing level where you learned nothing new is waste of time.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by geodav View Post
    look around find a team that interests you and ask,

i'm always open for people who can do things without me telling them how to do it

ps i need some maps as well
    You should check your PM inbox .

The thing I like the most is level design, for sure. I hope they release the UE3 level editor for Borderlands, that'd be awesome for fun and for showing off .

Leave a comment:

• replied
    and someone good enough at anything will be highly sought after.
    This quite true, however it comes with the catch that you need to be known to be sought after.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    If you want to learn one area purely for its utility, then programming. There are few good UScript programmers around, but more importantly, they have a habit of going off doing their own thing rather than joining a team.

However, you should surely go for whatever you enjoy doing most, since that will be the easiest to learn, and thus what are likely to end up being best at, and someone good enough at anything will be highly sought after.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    look around find a team that interests you and ask,

i'm always open for people who can do things without me telling them how to do it

ps i need some maps as well

Leave a comment:

• replied
    It is true that I was limited in level design with the UDK, because in my opinion, there aren't many diffirent static meshes. I'll see if I can pick up UT3 somewhere for not too much money, excellent suggestion.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The key part to Level Design is Design. I would not worry your self about "making it happen" (programming, content creation) but learn how to take content and make a world out of it. I would pick up UT3 and work with that and try to sculpt worlds you can use for a demo reel.

There is a zillion people who can program, model, texture, sculpt and the like - less who can do it for gaming, and less who can do it quickly and on a professional level. Master 1 skill and be in the top percentile and you will be fine - but do not lose scope, keep in mind and understand the others and how they work with you. Lack of understanding of the game industry and work flow has canned more then it's fair share of applicants.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic How to actually get IN a team.

How to actually get IN a team.

Hi, everyone.

I want to get into game development as a hobby, but as everyone knows, you can't really do much on your own.

I started a few years ago with level design, so that's probably why I stuck with it.

Now, I want to find a good team to join, but what I often ask myself is: "What skill should I try to master?". There are way too much level designers, from what I know. Programmming takes the most time, and modeling is hard (for me).

So, what do you think I should try to master?
Working...
X