Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mastering Unreal Technology book - how do I get my free copy of UT3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mastering Unreal Technology book - how do I get my free copy of UT3?

Hello, I'm sure this isn't exactly the right place for this question, but I'm hoping some of you may have acquired this book and can provide me with some guidance. I received my copy of Mastering Unreal Technology Volume 1 from Amazon less than a month ago, and I'm having trouble getting my free copy of UT3 from Steam. I have the code that came with the book, but for the life of me I cannot figure out what to do with it. When I try to order the game through the Steam store, I have no options for code redemption. In fact, trying to find the terms "code" and "redeem" on the Steam site leads to useless links to games, not to any info on redeeming codes. If anyone has actually done this, please share your experience here, and thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

To activate a game via steam I believe theses are the steps:
    • Open Steam
    • Go to Games in the top navigation bar
    • then click "Activate a product on steam"
    • then follow the steps and finish

Comment

Originally posted by Sir. Polaris View Post
      • Open Steam
      • Go to Games in the top navagation bar
      I think I'm misunderstanding your post - I do not already have the game in my possession, I'm trying to acquire it. Is that what your instructions are for? Perhaps I'm too much of an old fart to get the lingo, but I've always understood "activating" to be something you do once you've already installed the game. Is that terminology now outdated? Just to be clear, I'm attempting to actually acquire the game file to install the game, and based on the information in the book, I should be able to redeem a code they provided to expedite that acquisition. Can you verify that you have gone through this process for the Steam Code provided in the book I mentioned? In any case, thanks for your help, I'll try this and see where it takes me.

Comment

Hello Sol,

This is indeed what your looking for. "I should be able to redeem a code they provided ...". Right now you have a product code your looking to "link to", "redeem" or in other words "activate" to your account. Activating can refer to "turning somthing on" once you have it, but steam is using that term as turning a game on, in your account for ownership.

I have not gone though this process my self, which is why I use the words "I believe", as I am pulling from memory with other products.

I presume if you tried these steps you would find what you are looking for. If not feel free to write back that it failed. In the world of the Internet/computers when you are in doubt try first and ask later. If some one gives help, try it a few times, reread and try again - if it still fails then come back

Comment

Sir. Polaris is correct. Once you walk through those steps the game will begin downloading.

Select "Games" from the top navigation and choose "Activate a Product on Steam."
          Enter the serial code when prompted and install UT3 from the My games tab.

Comment

Thanks so much to both of you! I'm not at the appropriate computer at the moment, but first thing when I get in from work I'll be trying this out. Thanks again!

Comment

I'd thought I'd replied to this days ago...guess senility can't be programmed out! :/

Thanks to you who helped me get myself together, I really appreciate your advice. I'm working with the UT3 editor now, it's like a who career in a toolset...

Comment

Originally posted by SolitonMan View Post
                Thanks so much to both of you! I'm not at the appropriate computer at the moment, but first thing when I get in from work I'll be trying this out. Thanks again!
                Your welcome

Comment

Originally posted by Sir. Polaris View Post
                  • Open Steam
                  • Go to Games in the top navigation bar
                  But do you need to download and install steam ? Im having the same problem but I think you might mean you must have steam installed when you say open steam I cant install anything on this computer so is that my problem ?

Comment

Steam Client needs to be installed, yes.

Comment

tHANKS cRUSHA !

Comment

Working...
                      X