open world game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Open worlds: It matters how the developers scale the game. 1 Unreal unit = 2 centimeters. If you do the math right, then yes, you can create open worlds.

Lag: That depends on your computer, and the detail of your world.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Sir. Polaris View Post
    Borderlands isn't all that large. It's just large "Zones" which is just maps being loaded though a portal system. I bet the shader was used to hide the low poly and low textures
    But it works and looks good in an original way still.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Simply put, large sections of an environment are saved as one map, and are then streamed together. For buildings in the distance, if they are made from a number of different static meshes, and they can be set up to become one static mesh when the player moves a certain distance from the buildings themselves. So, in theory, one could make several huge maps, and that might be enough, but if you stream them together they appear to become much larger to the player, if set up properly.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Borderlands isn't all that large. It's just large "Zones" which is just maps being loaded though a portal system. I bet the shader was used to hide the low poly and low textures

Leave a comment:

• replied
    from what i can figure the maximum allowable map size in unreal is aproximately 10.5 km ^2 anyone know of a way around this?

would pretty much be mandatory for open worlds to have bigger then that

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Borderlands, perhaps.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    yah I meant sth like obivilion

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by mafiadude1 View Post
    The recently released MMORPG, Mortal Online, was created solely using UE3 and SpeedTree..its probably the largest open world environment ever created with the Unreal Engine
    And yet look how it is going.

Jk jk.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The recently released MMORPG, Mortal Online, was created solely using UE3 and SpeedTree..its probably the largest open world environment ever created with the Unreal Engine

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by zoltanjr View Post
    entropia online
    Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isnt that CryEngine 2?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    When you say open world do you mean like an RPG such as The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, or a game like Grand Theft Auto IV?

The Unreal Engine can do pretty much anything. It has done large scale RPGs such as Boarderlands, and GTA like Wheelman.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...l_Engine_games

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I have no idea why, but I didnt see unreal engine mentioned anywhere when I searched about the game, the only engine mentioned was cryengine

Leave a comment:

• replied
    entropia online

Leave a comment:

• replied
    is there any game which is made with unreal engine that has one big open world?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Within my experience, it seems that the graphics hardware is taxed a lot harder than the cpu hardware.. but my graphics hardware is terrible compared to hte rest of my hardware

Leave a comment:

Working...
X