open world game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

open world game?

I would like to know if its possible to make a open world game with udk. I mean like will it lag too much or can udk handle a big world with lots of creatures etc? Also approximately how many vertices can udk handle before it will lag on my computer? I have a 2.8 ghz dual core processor, 4 gb ram, 1gb video card.

Your PC set is good to go. It all depends on how detailed you go in your development. More triangles you add to a mesh means more triangles the engine needs to handle.

Comment

Within my experience, it seems that the graphics hardware is taxed a lot harder than the cpu hardware.. but my graphics hardware is terrible compared to hte rest of my hardware

Comment

is there any game which is made with unreal engine that has one big open world?

Comment

entropia online

Comment

I have no idea why, but I didnt see unreal engine mentioned anywhere when I searched about the game, the only engine mentioned was cryengine

Comment

When you say open world do you mean like an RPG such as The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, or a game like Grand Theft Auto IV?

The Unreal Engine can do pretty much anything. It has done large scale RPGs such as Boarderlands, and GTA like Wheelman.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...l_Engine_games

Comment

Originally posted by zoltanjr View Post
                entropia online
                Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isnt that CryEngine 2?

Comment

The recently released MMORPG, Mortal Online, was created solely using UE3 and SpeedTree..its probably the largest open world environment ever created with the Unreal Engine

Comment

Originally posted by mafiadude1 View Post
                    The recently released MMORPG, Mortal Online, was created solely using UE3 and SpeedTree..its probably the largest open world environment ever created with the Unreal Engine
                    And yet look how it is going.

Jk jk.

Comment

yah I meant sth like obivilion

Comment

Borderlands, perhaps.

Comment

from what i can figure the maximum allowable map size in unreal is aproximately 10.5 km ^2 anyone know of a way around this?

would pretty much be mandatory for open worlds to have bigger then that

Comment

Borderlands isn't all that large. It's just large "Zones" which is just maps being loaded though a portal system. I bet the shader was used to hide the low poly and low textures

Comment

Simply put, large sections of an environment are saved as one map, and are then streamed together. For buildings in the distance, if they are made from a number of different static meshes, and they can be set up to become one static mesh when the player moves a certain distance from the buildings themselves. So, in theory, one could make several huge maps, and that might be enough, but if you stream them together they appear to become much larger to the player, if set up properly.

Comment

Working...
                              X