Export UDK terrain to mesh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Export UDK terrain to mesh?

Not sure what forum to post this under. Is it possible to export a UDK terrain to a mesh that can be imported into a model editor? I need to create some more detailed terrain elements, which I don't think the terrain editor is capable of. To get the scaling right I'll want the terrain there to compare against.

It gives you a heightmap which can then be edited and recreated in other programs. Unreal (IIRC) does not store the data as a mesh, but as a bitmap image that reflects the height and dips of the terrain.

Comment

You'll want to use that heightmap image as a displacement in your authoring app. Make sure your overall dimensions match what you're using in UDK. You can then set the subdivisions on a plane and then use the image to displace the height. It might take some tweaking to get the right height values so you may wish to also export a box from UDK that is exactly the total height of the terrain from the bottom vertex the very top one. You can then set a good displacement amount to match the height values and you should be working closely to scale.

Comment

1. Select terrain
        2. Go to "file/export selected"
        3. Export as .obj
        4. Import .obj into desired editor

Comment

Working...
        X