Quick Tip: Segregating Epic Content

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Yeah, creating a game that installs on its own, which is its own unique product with no other game required to run it, is the whole point of the UDK

Aside from what AngelMapper said, The Epic content is also there so that the kit can "do something" if you just run it .

The main reasions to not just delete all the Epic content for a project that's not going to use it, aside from it being full of examples of things like complicated material shader graphs, are:

* The UTGame scripts, I think, require it, and if you want to use or derive from them you want the required assets around until you have gotten around to making everything use your own stuff.

* Having a bank of materials around for prototyping maps is nice.

* Having dummy gameplay / characters / whatever around is nice if you want to be able to test maps before you've finished your character design or w/e .

I'm probably just stating the obvious, though? Oh well, I'm bored ^_^.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    There is no such thing as a "UDK mod", when you package it up with the UnrealFrontEnd it makes an exe file which is the installer for your game. The Epic content is just there as examples, if you want to sell your game you can't use any of their static meshes / textures etc.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Ive also been wondering about this. I want to make my game, but its annoying having to search around in all the pre made stuff which i just wont use anyway.

One quick question while were on the subject. If i make a game with all new character models and vehicles and all my own statics and textures, is it classed as a game, or a mod?

Cos i don't want to make a mod, i want to make a completely separate game that installs on its own without Unreal 3 being installed. Is that not how it works or am i being stupid?

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Quick Tip: Segregating Epic Content

Quick Tip: Segregating Epic Content

I just found out (and haven't seen anywhere else) that for the most part UDK doesn't care about where you put its package files under UTGame/Content, and dosen't mind if you move files in there around.

So I moved all the default directories int UTGame/Content/!Epic, only leaving the shader cache files and that catalogue thing in UTGame/Content.

It didn't so much as disrupt the content browser's tag database, and it gives you a much cleaner workplace to work with; you can make your own Environments and Maps and such and not worry about remembering who the files belong to . (Plus I just like having files I'm not going to use long-term out of the way in the browser.)

Haven't seen anyone else mention something like this yet, and I know some people are more annoyed by the default folder setup. (Also, aside: Think of "UTGame" as standing for Unreal Technology (Using) instead of Unreal Tournament )

(Before this, I tried making seperate UTGame/MyContent and UTGame/EpicContent directories and adding both of them to the Paths in the engine ini, but no matter which way I arranged them it made UDK unable to find "core" (which should be in Scripts anyway, eh?) )
Working...
X