Work Experience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Work Experience?

Hi I live near Team 17 I no its not a big comapny but what you think the chance are if i write a nice letter asking for some WorkExpreience to see how they make games etc. They use the unreal engine as well. They made the new AlienBreed Game using the engine which ive not played yet as its pay online/download only game and ive no way of getting yet. I can go any time as im out of a job due to ive been ill and my kidney faiild but had a transplant but now on the mend and i want to do something different.

Oh wow! a fellow kidney patient, I guess I was lucky though because the docs got my kidneys working again, I hope you make a good recovery.
    Why not put a small Unreal game of your own together as a sample and send it to them along with a nice letter explaining to the about how you are interested in joining their team?

Comment

It never hurts to try

Some tips:
      • Make sure you use good spelling and grammar in your letter.
      • As MrEL40Guy said, have a small map or game made in the UDK as an example of your work.

To be brutually honest, you probably wouldn't get work experience as a "developer". They would need to pull others from their work to train you, teach you their custom tools, their version control, their bug database etc. It depends on how busy they are and if they have any interest in doing so (Training/Having people with you would cost "money" in the sense of wages and lost man hours.).

You could ask for some QA experience as would require a lot less time on their part, especially if they already have a team. QA is often left to the publisher but many developers keep a small in-studio QA team so they can have things tested and receive feedback quickly. It's still a good position for learning the ins and outs of the studio and how they work on the game. You also have the opportunity to talk to people and build contacts for the future.

Good luck!

Comment

Yeah it depends on a lot what they're doing, I think you've got more chance if they've just shipped a game. I'd compliment them on their latest game whether you've played it or not. A bit of flattery goes a long way

Comment

why not ask a tour through the building and a meetup with some seniors per department? (for QA or interview, note though: NDA, be sure to follow their rules on the do's and don't regarding information received (audio and/or visual and/or media).)

Most studios are happy to tour you around, under certain rules. I bet team17 (didn't knew they we're still alive?!?) is one of such studios.

e.g. if one rule is to not make recordings (audio/visual) outside the lobby room, then DON'T!

Comment

You should have gone to Euro Gamer in Leeds a few months back. Team 17 were there, had a booth and you could chat to them. I was also lucky enough to get a 15 minute session with John Dennis, their Design Manager who gave some nice tips about how to get into the industry. I talked about a sort of work experience placement but they don't really have the resources to dedicate the time and man power.

I thought they were going to games grads this year, http://www.gamesgrads.co.uk/exhibitors/ , but it seems they aren't anymore.

Anyway, I won't give away all the advice, but one of the main aspects they were looking for, if you want to be a level designer that is, is to have worked on at least 4-5 maps and also for you to have worked with a team on a mod or some other type of gaming expansion.

Comment

Thanks for the replies I will learn this for the next year at least 1st. MrEL40Guy Glad your kidney was treated with out going on dialasis and having a transplant. Its been 2 years in Febuary since the transplant but the side effects of the tablets and only having the one kidney to start with in the first place makes it more harder. But Slowly getting better.

Comment

Also if your happy too then perhaps offer to work for free while there isnt an actual "position" for you, my friend done this with a games ciompany and got a few hours a week part time testing, he now works full time for them and is hoping to some day get into there coder ranks.

Comment

Originally posted by saymoo View Post
                  Most studios are happy to tour you around, under certain rules. I bet team17 (didn't knew they we're still alive?!?) is one of such studios.
                  !
                  Yeah there still around but like i said there a small company. They just made Alien Breed Evolution using the unreal engine.

Comment

Working...
                  X