Help building a new PC for my UDK project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help building a new PC for my UDK project

OK, ive read through most of the udk and ut3 forums and gotten a decent list of what should make a good computer but i would like to get some direct opinions

I need to be as economical as possible while doing this too.

Basically i have two options, I can either by a computer from a store like walmart and upgrade it or i can build one from scratch

so my question is how well would this computer http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=12347221 (eMachines ET1331G-03W Desktop PC with AMD Athlon II X2 Dual-Core Processor & Windows 7 Home Premium (i wish that walmart specified whether that pc is ddr2 or ddr3, or whether it comes with 32 bit or 64 windows.... )) work if i installed a nVidia Geforce GTX295, and possibly added a 4 GB ram kit http://cgi.ebay.com/nVidia-Geforce-G...item19b94f589d (OCZ PC2-6400 DDR2 Nvidia 800MHz Dual Channel 4G Kit with Nvidia Heatspreader)?

Why not just get 2 896 pcie cards instead and save some $ at the same time? An example I just can't see you spending like an extra 100 Bucks when this card set as a dual set will not match but exceed what that 1 card would do. its like 100 buck less that you could use towards something else on the machine.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, I'll probably go with your idea.

Comment

N/p I'm all about tryingto save $ so why not share right?

Comment

if you got the skill and time i would build it your self. you will save a bit of cash.
          at lest i did anyway i am in England.

Two things to take note of.

1. Get at lest 2gb of ram
          2. Do your research and get a decent graphics card.

I would say get an nvidia, due to the PhysicsX Unit in them. but stay away from the 8000 series i had problems with them, and i know a lot of other people did as well (8400 and 6600 or something like that).

Just don't buy any NVidia with a 8 at the beginning and you should be good.

Comment

Another thing, you don't have to buy the latest and greatest stuff, anything released in the past year (12-14months) should work just fine.

i am running a Intel due core 2.4ghz
            2gb of ram

and 3d stuff runs mine for me, just don't forget a decent graphics card is the probably the most important, if your really worry don't get anything lower spec than what i have got.

my tech is not the best out there, but it runs UDK and eve (www.eveonline.com) perfectly fine, at the same time. eve is a resource hogging 3d game

Comment

If you post your budget I can configure something for you on Newegg. I would strongly recommend getting a quad core. Any quad core will do but you should really consider one for lightmass. Plus, paying for a 295GTX is one huge waste of money when you can easily get the same performance with less if you SLI or Crossfire the right cards. While a good video card is a must have, a great processor is also very important.

Just state your budget and i'll give you the ideal components for your price range. Also give me the resolution you plan on gaming with. 1920x1200? 1680x1050?

Comment

I would say get 4gb of ram, and buy motherboard that can support 8gb. For eg. mine has only 3 memory slots, and i have 2 times 2gb, so now i can upgrade up to 6gb. Memory is required if you want to rebuild bigger levels. Somewhere around sandstorm is max what you can do at 4gb of ram.

Also if you plan on playing with physx get nvidia card, ATI does not want to support it yet, I hope they get forced to it soon.

And watch for crossfire motherboards, some support full speed PCIE only for one slot while other works at 1/4th speed. I think best would be going for nvidia SLI.

Oh and make sure you can install windows 7 64 bits without problems. Or even buy computer with windows 7, upgrade its license to 64 bit, and tell them in shop to i nstall 64 bit.

All those above are aspects where computer i bought year ago fails. Motherboard supports full speed crossfire only in one slot (16x) while other runs at 4x. Physx does not work because i have ATI. Only 3 memory slots, and i have 2 times 2gb, so max i can upgrade is 6gb now. And windows 7 64 bit refuses to install because of some weird SATA chip for additional devices that i cannot turn off in bios.

Comment

well, Im running UDK on my MacBook 5.1 and it runs good, the UTGame maps are a little laggy, but I should change the graphics settings if I want to do something with that (but they're still playable).
                  my specs are:
                  -nVidia GeForce 9400M 256MB
                  -Intel Core2 Duo 2 GHz
                  -2GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM
                  -Windows XP (I'd still rather work on OS-X)

Comment

You should probably make note that pretty much any system you buy at a store unless a PC specific store will only have 32 bit windows so it will only utilise 3-3.3gb of ram so if you plan on throwing 6gb in save your cash

Comment

im definately only going to buy a new pc if it comes with a 64 bit os, and im still unsure about my budget but my absolute max amount of cash i can get will probably be around $1200. I really appreciate all the help
                      How would this computer work if i got a nvidia card http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+CG5...699025&count=1 it has an IntelĀ® Core™ i5-650 processor, which i haven't really heard much about

on the issue of the graphics card, i have found a gtx 295 for 450$ so any combo of two that works as good or better, and costs less would be great, im not sure on what resolution i will be using, im trying to get the highest i can

Comment

If you can build your own machine, that would be best. I recommend an i7, 1TB Samsung T3, at least 4GB, and a decent mobo. You can get one amazing machine for less than $1200 if you just buy it through newegg. However, you would have to build it and troubleshoot it. So its really up to you if you want to get into that.

Also, don't buy a 295 GTX, for $400 you can buy two 4890s and Crossfire them for better performance. What resolution are you going to be using?

Comment

I suggested a dual card set that would cost him like 100 $ les than that 1 he was going to try to go for on ebay. But yea, Joseph is correct, I also suggest going to pricewatch.com and checking the barebone systems w/o an OS since you can use your current 1. and when/if you do go that route there is a listing function you can use to price out xtras as well to match your budgeting too. Can you tell I'm a geek yet but know what I'm doing mode?

Comment

well
                            i think ive decided on an i7 processor and sli two gtx 260's
                            but i have no clue when it comes to the motherboard :/

Comment

http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=64997

Comment

Working...
                              X