Collision based off alpha?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Collision based off alpha?

I need to figure out if it is possible for alpha to define collision. But to be more specific, can an alpha map define whether or not a player will collide in to a surface? For example, I can make an alpha map which is very basic: a white background with a solid black square in the middle. This black square is being used to simulate a window. I create a material for a piece of geo, a piece of geo which is similar to a wall, where i use this alpha map to punch out and fake a window. The wall will look like it has a hole in it, but it will not function as such. I want the piece of geo to be functional in it's visually solid instance while also being able to fully function like a wall with a window in it.

From what I remember from my schooling... it is possible for an alpha map to define the collision for a projectile. This is used for detecting bullet and projectile collisions when the player shoots a branch or leaf on a piece of foliage. I am of course referring to a piece of foliage which uses alpha planes to block in its mass, instead of a high-poly piece of foliage that has every leaf/branch modeled. If what I remember is true, then my reasoning would have me believe that an alpha map could not only affect the collision of a projectile, but also the collision of the player.

I am working on a long term game project for myself which is heavily based around the fact that what I propose is possible, and I need to do everything in my power to figure out if it is. At this point I haven't really done much research in to this question. I thought I would post the question here first to see if I could find a knowledgeable Unreal user to possibly help, and save me hours of troubleshooting work.

Does anybody have any info that could perhaps enlighten me to my situation?

I doubt UE3 supports this functionality by default. Performing texture analysis requires a long of processing time. There is a reason why collision models are very basic/low-poly.

Comment

Have you considered using BlockingVolume my friend? It seems to me that this does what you are trying to achieve. Though one thing I have noticed is that it doesnt block weapon fire, though this should be easy to set up!

Comment

To fit your apparent purposes, just creating a collision mesh when creating your asset mesh should be enough.

Comment

thanks for the help guys. I'll have to take a closer look in to this myself when I have the time.

Comment

Working...
          X