Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grab player's view to look at a point of interest

Hi all,

I'm making a first person mod where I want to be able to grab the players view to force them to look at something in the scene.

(Note this is similar to the function in gears of war where at certain times you can push a button and the camera will point at something interesting going on.)

I feel like this should be straightforward using something like the "look at" action in kismet but all my attempts have failed me. (I believe the player pawn cant handle "look at" actions). I've tried various combinations of things but nothing works.

Does anyone know how to achieve this?

Thanks for any help you can offer - this has been driving me mad!

-Mark-

Calculate the Viewing-vector (Target - Position), translate it into a Rotator and setDesiredRotation or something like that...dont know if it works, but should be

Comment

is this going to need to be done in unrealscript then?

Comment

A kismet sequence likely with the use of matinee to control it's movements should do the trick in individual map cases. If you want to do it a lot, it may be better to program an implementation.

Comment

ok cool although this still leaves me with my initial problem that I dont understand how to implement this behaviour in kismet. I understand moving cameras around in kismet/matinee but how do you move the player's view?

Comment

The 'player's view' is a camera.

Comment

well I understand that it is a camera but its not any camera that I know how to select or move around using matinee. How can I either:
              A: Directly move around the players view camera
              or
              B: Get a camera to "take over" from their view for the sake of the 'point of interest' shot?

Sorry I know Im probably being really slow here but my experience of UDK is quite limited.

Comment

"B" would be best, create a camera to "take over"
                this would also allow for other things.
                ex. you look at something of interest, and then the camera moves to show another scene.
                but it depends on what the point of interest is for, just to show something, or is it part of a story?

Comment

it essentially to show the player an objective. The problem is that I dont really want the camera to jump "out" of the player. The point of moving the players view was that I didnt want to break the immersion.

I literally just want to turn the player's head - is this really impossible?

Comment

Originally posted by mengley View Post
                    it essentially to show the player an objective. The problem is that I dont really want the camera to jump "out" of the player. The point of moving the players view was that I didnt want to break the immersion.

I literally just want to turn the player's head - is this really impossible?
                    Make the second camera start and end at the same position of player's camera.

Comment

how do i get a camera to start at the player's view position?
                      edit:
                      I have managed to get one to "attach" to the player, and can mess with the offset to get a sort of reasonable match, but is there a better way?

Comment

First off, what is triggering the sequence?

Comment

Its going to want to be triggered in the middle of a scripted sequence.

generally the sequence is caused by the player reaching an area or interacting with something specfic in the level. This causes their objective to change so I want to show them where their new objective is.

The player would probably always be in the same general area when the event happens, but not exactly the same place. Therefore I could just point the camera in the right direction and be fairly sure the "point of interest" is going to be in shot, but I cant just swap out for a pre-determined camera as youd see it jump.

Comment

Originally posted by mengley View Post
                            Its going to want to be triggered in the middle of a scripted sequence.

generally the sequence is caused by the player reaching an area or interacting with something specfic in the level. This causes their objective to change so I want to show them where their new objective is.

The player would probably always be in the same general area when the event happens, but not exactly the same place. Therefore I could just point the camera in the right direction and be fairly sure the "point of interest" is going to be in shot, but I cant just swap out for a pre-determined camera as youd see it jump.
                            Try to clone Zelda, if the area is pre-determined, start the camera somewhere you can see the entire room and the player, and them moves to show the new objective.
                            As the player sees himself, he will be able to determine left/right.

Comment

Working...
                            X