No announcement yet.

Got my book yay.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nope im continuing on with the videos and forum tutorials. Thanks alot that book i think is not very good.

Comment

I don't mean to be rude or anything but are you serious ?

Get a grasp on both Additive and Subtractive then you will OWN UDK !!
      Trust me...

Comment

Ha after sooo long ive found a way round it. In the book you make a cylinder shaped room using the subtractive syle method. So what i did was I open a new project created went to new and selected subtractive methed as the style. I did the shape it asked me but then i exported that shape thaen imported it into my addictive project. So now i no how to do both. :P

Hope you now what i mean.

PS. Sorry if im been a bit sharp Its because i have 2 Ulcers in my mouth and had them for 2 weeks now and they hurt like hell. Its ever since ive had a kidney transplant 2 years ago ive had quite a few it just that these 2 have just gotten even bigger and swollen. Docs gave me Corlan Pellets to put on them for 5 days. See if that does the trick. Thats one of the reasons im learning this as i do have the time at the moment with no job. At least im trying something and learning.

Comment

Hi skipper,

I think the book is good, do you think other books will be published on UDK ? I hope so. I love this software.

I hope you are feel better soon !

Cheers

Comment

Skipper thats a good book worthy in your collection . it will teach you alot.

Comment

Originally posted by skipper View Post
              Ha after sooo long ive found a way round it. In the book you make a cylinder shaped room using the subtractive syle method. So what i did was I open a new project created went to new and selected subtractive methed as the style. I did the shape it asked me but then i exported that shape thaen imported it into my addictive project. So now i no how to do both. :P

Hope you now what i mean.

PS. Sorry if im been a bit sharp Its because i have 2 Ulcers in my mouth and had them for 2 weeks now and they hurt like hell. Its ever since ive had a kidney transplant 2 years ago ive had quite a few it just that these 2 have just gotten even bigger and swollen. Docs gave me Corlan Pellets to put on them for 5 days. See if that does the trick. Thats one of the reasons im learning this as i do have the time at the moment with no job. At least im trying something and learning.

See there you go !!

Both Additive and Subtractive at your disposal !!

Comment

Additive. I'm not going to say out-right ignore subtractive but, for virtually any modern level, you're going to be using additive. The only real exception would be if you planned only on making small, indoor levels. Even then, almost everyone does additive.

But since no one else is giving concrete advice (which is smart if you haven't done much of this), you want additive. Follow any tuts the way they're written though, there's really not much of a difference in terms of learning. For example Hourences make a game tut will have you subtract a big cube I think. He's just doing that because he doesn't want to take the time to tell you to make 6 walls, since it's just to "get you started". It's vastly easier to instruct someone: make a cube, subtract; than it is to say "ok we want to make 6 walls that will form a cube, one wall at a time".

The books are fantastic btw, I'm an intermediate Unreal Ed user, and I've found a *ton* of useful stuff in the new books. And no, it's not for UE2, that's a much older book.

Comment

Originally posted by FewPosts View Post
                  The book was written for Unreal Engine 2 fellas.
                  Uhhh, no. A book was written for Unreal Engine 2...about 5 years ago I think? This book is most certainly written for Unreal Engine 3 as are the other 2 volumes in the series (as it clearly states in the title).

Comment

The old book was written about seven years ago now - published in 2004!

Comment

Originally posted by ambershee View Post
                      The old book was written about seven years ago now - published in 2004!
                      Oh right...this is 2010. My brain was still thinking 2009 minus 5 years was 2004. I am sure by the time 2011 rolls around I will be used to this being 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by ffejnosliw View Post
                        Oh right...this is 2010. My brain was still thinking 2009 minus 5 years was 2004. I am sure by the time 2011 rolls around I will be used to this being 2010.
                        Don't worry, same thing happens to me at the start of a new year, even after my birthday takes me about 2 months to get used to it

I'm interested in getting the unrealscript book considering I'm a coder, but I'm wondering whether this would help one make mediocre levels "Without" and artistic talent?

Comment

Too bad that the 3rd book isn't out yet...

Comment

Originally posted by GRoss View Post
                            Too bad that the 3rd book isn't out yet...
                            haha yeah... i read this thinking it was someone that got the 3rd book

Comment

Originally posted by danimal' View Post
                              Additive. I'm not going to say out-right ignore subtractive but, for virtually any modern level, you're going to be using additive. He's just doing that because he doesn't want to take the time to tell you to make 6 walls, since it's just to "get you started". It's vastly easier to instruct someone: make a cube, subtract; than it is to say "ok we want to make 6 walls that will form a cube, one wall at a time".
                              You dont need to make 6 walls for room in additive mode. U can simply make additive brush with "Holow?" check box checked and state thickness for walls in "Brush Builder menu. Than click "Add". Now u have nice hollow cube with some thickness in walls. Next u need to make another brush and intersect it with your freshly added hollow cube (but remember to uncheck "Hollow?" in "BrushBuilderMenu") and simply subtract your hollow cube to make some openings in it for windows and doors. I mean there is so many ways to build in UDK but u will use additive and subtractive brushes all the time.
                              Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                              X