Got my book yay.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got my book yay.

Woot. I got my Mastering Unreal Technology book volume 1 today. I would have had it Saturday but i missed the post so had to collect it at the posty today. I missed the post by only 6 mins as well on saturday Carnt wait to get stuck in. I will give you updates on how im finding it. Although i will not clog the forum with them though. Your not kidding when you said its a big book, i opend it up and my mum even said. What your gunna do with that?. lol.

Well il get down to bussiness now and start reading bits of it at a time so i dont take too much in at once.

I'm getting all Three of these bad boys !!

Comment

The only thing is like some one said be for on this forum that the book uses Subtractive brushes where in the tutorials from udk website there in addtitive brushes which im use to doing. So shal i follow the books subtravtive brushes or use the additive brush what im use to and tweek certain parts?

Comment

Use both Additive and Subtractive.

Additive for External and Subtractive for Internal or outdoor terrain like mountains etc.

Comment

Hi. What i mean is when you first open up the UDK its and press create new level and the diolog box comes up asking what geometry style you want. Addetive or subtractive in the book it says choose subtractive and click ok. But in the videos on UDK it tells you to choose Addertive. If you no what i mean. Its A bit different using the Subtractive method then im use to.

Comment

Oh OK. Are there any tutorials in the book and online that are the same but one is additive and the other is subtractive?

Comment

From my understanding additive is the way to go for most construction routes. Subtractive should be used sparingly as it can be more resource demanding. Ironic as the older versions of Ued called for the subtractive method.

Comment

Try both. If you want to follow along the book why not try the subtractive lvls. But when working on your own stuff use additive...

If you understand how both additive and subtractive lvls work i see no harm in using additive along with the book. But you generally want to do additive lvls for UT3 and UDK.

Comment

Hi. So this book is for the unreal tournament editor and not the actual udk?. Because ive downloaded unreal tournament 3 from the book using my complementry code and the editor is slightly different to the Latest UDK im using now?.

Comment

Originally posted by skipper View Post
                    Hi. So this book is for the unreal tournament editor and not the actual udk?. Because ive downloaded unreal tournament 3 from the book using my complementry code and the editor is slightly different to the Latest UDK im using now?.
                    It was written for the UT editor, but the editors are largely the same anyway. The main differences that are going to be visible with Volume 1 are the Content vs. Generic Browser, and the Lightmass lighting system. However, the directions can be followed in the same manner.

Comment

The UDK and UT3 editors are slightly different, but are so similar that most tutorials made for UT3 work for UDK and vice versa.

Comment

I realy wish this book used additive brush instead of subtractive when you create new level at the begining. I no you might think it does not matter much but i think it does .

Comment

When you're first learning the basics like using textures, placing lights etc it makes no difference one way or the other. It switches to additive by chapter 4 anyway I think.

Comment

The book was written for Unreal Engine 2 fellas.

Comment

Ok I will give it another go to day using all the books way. And i will see what i can do .

Comment

Working...
                              X