UDK + Wiimote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UDK + Wiimote

Hey guys, I'm a bit of an Unreal/UDK noob, only got a bit of experience and have most of my modding experience in Source.
    Anyways, with the release of the latest beta and DLLBinding support, I figured I'd have a crack with integrating Wiiuse on a day I was bored (which happened to be today)
    I've been successful in initializing the Wiimote and doing some basic stuff (button presses etc) in Unreal. However, the concern that I have is in terms of the speed of UnrealScript and the responsiveness when it comes to using the IR and motion sensor stuff.
    I can't test this out very easily because of problems with BlueSoleil on my desktop PC, and my laptop is **** and only barely runs UDK, so responsiveness testing on that is pretty much pointless.
    Any thoughts? Is it a fruitless exercise to continue (which is not a problem, because this was partly a test for DLLBinding anyway), or something worth persuing?

I imagine you can use a similar technique to playing UT3 with the wiimote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Svo9kXh-6ZU
    http://ryantani.com/2009/01/25/playi...th-4-wiimotes/

Because you can just map the wiimote actions to keys, no dllbind is necessary.

As a test of DLLBind it is an interesting exercise though. I'm sure UnrealScript would be fast enough (you'ld be able to poll every frame, can't be more responsive than that) - the only questions is the performance of DLLBind itself, which I don't believe has been quantified yet. Can't believe it would be an issue though.

Comment

Yeah, GlovePIE is a great little utility and its what I'd definitely use for input mapping if it was just for using a Wiimote with UT3. But as I said, it was a test of the DLLBind stuff and, if it worked out, potentially making a fun little game in UDK utilizing Wiimote capabilities, and you can have much more fine-grain control using a DLL and being able to handle it much better in UDK than having to go through GlovePIE.
      I couldn't see the DLLBind performance being problematic, would have thought the scripting would be far more of a bottleneck.

Comment

Nah, processing a bit of input is nothing. UnrealScript isn't that much of a burden in general. Nothing compared to rendering or physics in terms of cost, unless you do something really outlandish.

The most costly thing I've done is calculated how well lit a player is by iterating through every light in the level and tracing line of sight to multiple locations of the player's body. And you can get away with that every tick without too much slowdown.

Comment

Originally posted by immortius View Post
          The most costly thing I've done is calculated how well lit a player is by iterating through every light in the level and tracing line of sight to multiple locations of the player's body. And you can get away with that every tick without too much slowdown.
          Is there no other (faster) way to determine it? I am asking because we plan sneaking in shadows for player. And with lightmass tracing line of sight to lights does not say much about how well lit object is.

Comment

Isn't there already shadows for players? Maybe experiment with the existing dynamic shadow support, it might be enough for your purposes.

Certainly all my work predates lightmass, and I haven't spent time looking into what is available in UDK (I did this in UT3).

Comment

UDK Wiimote

Now that's an interesting use of the WiiMote. Any chance you can post some pictures here of what you're doing?

Comment

Originally posted by Nawrot View Post
                Is there no other (faster) way to determine it? I am asking because we plan sneaking in shadows for player. And with lightmass tracing line of sight to lights does not say much about how well lit object is.
                The way I've been doing it is with custom light classes with appended volumes, when in the relative volume, a timer regularily traces from various bones in the character mesh. I did not use lightmass, however, as it was not required for the simulation.

Comment

Think adding a wiimote to the udk would be cool. Just as long as it's accessable, no point in adding something if it's too hard to figure out how to get it to work.

You could always release a test version so the others can check out the response time.

Comment

The main issue I've come across it the delay in button press detection when motion sensing is enabled, there is a large noticeable delay between pressing the button and having it detected. I get the feeling that this might be an issue with the Library, the testing I did with the demo app showed a similar response issue with the motion sensing.
                    I may switch to a different library to see if that fixes the problems and check out what the response time will be like. If I have success with that then I'll throw something up for people to play around with.

Comment

Alright, I replaced Wiiuse with WiiYourself, which has more support (Wii Motion Plus and also Balance Board). So far I've got the accelerometer and rotation data from the Remote working all good. Also added a basic 'gesture' - flicking the remote upwards results in the player jumping.

I'm still not sure of the best way to approach the 'gesture' situation, whether to do that stuff natively or in UnrealScript. I guess I might have to work on some other basic gesture controls and have a look at the level of complexity and accuracy in order to figure that out.

So far, as happens in prototyping, the code is a bit of a mess. The Acceleration data, Pitch and Roll of the remote are all obtained from 3 separate functions; wrapping this up to return a single struct with everything would be more ideal, but that sort of refactoring I'll probably do further down the line to make the library more usable for people, if they are interested.
                      Hopefully in the next few days I might be able to get the Nunchuk working properly, having some weird issues with it at the moment

Comment

How to use dllbind

Hi guyz

I am new to UDK.I would like to know how to connect wiimote to UDK using DLLBind.Use c/c++ library is best,and if possible can you post the step by step process involved.My project involves wiimote integrated shooting game.

Regards
                        Vipin KP

Comment

Working...
                        X