Unreal Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unreal Book

Hi hope you all had a good christmas and dont feel too sick after the christmas dinner

Any way in a few days i am thinking of getting this book "Mastering Unreal Technology: v. 1: Introduction to Level Design with Unreal Engine 3: A Beginner's Guide to Level Design in Unreal Engine 3" (Paperback)

I was wondering if its any good and if people used it already?. If it is good i am also planning on getting volume 2 and 3 once learnt the volume 1.

The Video tutorials ive watched so far are excellent but just wanted a book so i dont have to keep going back to the videos. If you no what i mean. Is there also pictures in the book when explaining what different features are or is it just words?. I dont mean pictures as in pop up book style i mean diograms on what its on about :P.

Thanks...

the books are really good when ti comes to learning about using the UDK so i say they would do you good volume 1 & 2 will teach you about level design and when volume 3 comes out it willt each about unreal script so i say go for them if you can get them

Comment

Hi skipper

I bought the book a few days before Christmas. I can highly recommend it to you. Not only does it cover UDK very well, it also gives you a good background introduction to games and texturing etc.
      The book is big, nearly 900 pages. It covers Kismet, terrain editor etc very comprehensively.
      I bought it from Amazon at a good price. it's worth every penny.

(The only slightly confusing thing is that the level introduction uses subtrative space but immediately says that you will probably want to use addative space)

Hope this helps

Comment

Yeah it's good, and virtually every step has a picture. The pics tend to be a bit small and they're not in colour but give you the general idea. Each book comes with CD with resources on it, you also a free copy of Unreal Tournament 3.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Yeah thats where im getting it from is amazon i think thats the only place where you can buy it from looked every where. But getting unreal 3 game with the book is a added bonus hehe. I might buy it today be for it gets out of stock .

Comment

Well just to say ive just orded it so carnt wait now hehe. Hope i dont have to wait till next year

Comment

The books are incredible! Well worth the money, even if you find you know how to do a lot from the first book, it's ALWAYS going to be handy for a quick reference in times when you just can't think how to do something.

I got books 1 and 2 but unfortunately the spine has given way on the second book so I need to order a new one. Ordering book 3 on launch as well.

Comment

OMG it says its been posted already lol. But it also says estimated delivery 5th of january. Any earlier this time of year is a bonus.

I no i will find out soon but does it also show you how to do 2d top down view games as well or is that in other 2 books?.

Comment

skipper, have you seen the video tutorials? They go over designing a top down game.

Comment

Working...
                  X