How to add variation to tiling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to add variation to tiling?

As the topic states I have created a few custom textures that I am largely satisfied with; however, when applied to very large portions of geometry it becomes rather bland since there is so much repetition, even though the texture is very tileable. Are there some standard methods to help add variation, or break up the pattern when tiling?

Many Thanks

there is mesh painting in udk, i bet that could be used to make it look a bit different everywhere. http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/MeshPaintReference.html
    also the way you setup your materials can matter.

Comment

Just look at say, the grey floor tile materials from Deck.

Comment

Originally posted by ambershee View Post
        Just look at say, the grey floor tile materials from Deck.
        Yes... further elaboration:
        Many games have also run into this problem. There is, however, an easy fix. Back in the day, shader editors would refer to them as "detail maps". UDK can easily manipulate this same effect through tiling a texture (tweak the scaling), then using a function (typically a multiply) to combine with with another, usually larger and less detailed, texture. The same principle is applied to terrain/cliff/etc styled shaders. It's kind of hard to explain without sitting down and whipping out a dictionary, so the best I can say is go check out how terrain shaders work (or the like). The more you just look at how existing shaders work, the easier it will be for you to design your own.

Comment

Working...
        X