Question Regarding UE3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question Regarding UE3

So I downloaded the UDK and notice it came with a stripped down version of UT3, test maps, the main menu, the link gun, characters and vehicles...

Are we allowed to use these in our games or do we have to start from scratch?

If so then what is the legal stance on it, keep the game free or pay royalties or what?

http://udk.com/licensing.html

Comment

Originally posted by Licensing FAQ
      Can I release a noncommercial game that uses the “Unreal Tournament 3” assets included with UDK?
      Yes. You can use UT3 assets included with UDK for a noncommercial game, but not UT3 assets not included with UDK. If you wish to sell your game, all assets must be owned by you.
      So yeah

Comment

cool, sounds awesome, i figure i can start with the assests to learn how to use the engine, then slowly transform it into my own game and eventually get rid of all the default models and textures

thanks for the help, i used to do mapping in ut2004 but never had a chance to use the engine as a whole.

I always wanted to learn how to make bump maps and shaders to truly make a next gen game

I'm just waiting to build a new computer soon, 3.4ghz quad and 16gigs of ram, but sticking to my dx10 card cause i see no reason to go dx11 yet with unreal engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Mightylink View Post
          cool, sounds awesome, i figure i can start with the assests to learn how to use the engine, then slowly transform it into my own game and eventually get rid of all the default models and textures

thanks for the help, i used to do mapping in ut2004 but never had a chance to use the engine as a whole.

I always wanted to learn how to make bump maps and shaders to truly make a next gen game

I'm just waiting to build a new computer soon, 3.4ghz quad and 16gigs of ram, but sticking to my dx10 card cause i see no reason to go dx11 yet with unreal engine.
          What is the model of the card? And model of the cpu?

Comment

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16819103727

And my card which I already bought a few months ago is Radeon HD 4670, a little older but so far its ran everything on max so I see no reason to upgrade, my current processor is an intel 2.2ghz, im hoping to turn my pc into a devloper machine.

I know the unreal editor doesn't need a demanding pc but I also do other things like render videos and cgi with Vue7, the fastest processor I can get will really help speed up those tasks, as for the ram well I probably don't need it but I figure I mine as well upgrade to the motherboards max on a 64bit. Also going to try Windows 7 for the first time, Vista kills my performance sometimes, even when I disable indexing it still seams to index always when im rendering something, and that constant TrustedInstaller.exe keeps poping up taking away 100% of both my cores, I thought it was a virus but I looked it up on many sites and it is indeed part of vista <_<

I tried using windows 2000 and linux ubuntu but I miss a lot of the features from newer windows.

Comment

I've never seen anything called TrustedInstaller.exe and I've been using Vista 64 for over a year. I keep hearing nothing but probs with Win 7 compatibility.

Comment

Gee then I am in a bit of a bind, one os I know is giving me problems and the other one people are saying will give me problems. Well if I have to waste money on another OEM of windows then I will go with 7 anyway, I'm sure it will be better after its first service pack.

Oh and I would also like to know are there any starter kits for unreal engine 3? I notice it came with what seems very much like ut3 but I also want to know if there are other types like racing or adventure I can play around with.

The thing is im not too good at coding but im great with 3d modeling and texturing, a starter kit would help me a lot to getting started and learning how it works.

If at least there is none then I can probably work with the fps kit that comes with it and turn it into something else.

Oh and im sorry I haven't read much of the documentation yet, I'm trying to save this little side project for after the holidays :P

Comment

I have issues with Windows 7 when it comes to driver support - graphics and audio wise. Games amusingly run very well. Streaming video via flash however, is liable to make me crash.

Comment

Oh that sounds ok for me then cause I double checked all the hardware im getting and all have 7 64-bit drivers. Cept for the wireless card I wanted but I also play a lot of games too and I feel a nice thick LAN cord is best for keeping double digit pings

Comment

It's not that ok - lots of adverts for example, use streaming flash video. If Adblocker doesn't get 'em, it's a nightmare

Also - no youtube or gametrailers, or any of that stuff. Quite frustrating.

Comment

Working...
                      X