Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing the Unreal unit size (UU) in UDK, possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hellclown View Post
    1UU = 1 Max generic unit.
    change to
    1UU = 1 generic unit.

same thing. Max's generic unit isn't more generic than the next.

Comment

I use archicad and then I export to sketchup and then in udk (with SU plugin). In AC I use 1unit = 1000mm son in SU it's all ok since I use metric. But in udk the model needs scale and I cant make it realistic enough. Any ideas?

Comment

well, I tried using sketchup and exporting as .dae, it works, but I also had to scale everything, but the building didn't work very well.

My question is, what is the current setting for UU in UDK, cause I tried doing 1UU = 2cm, but that didn't work, I'm using a real building's schematic and I've been inside the real thing, and a hallway I can easily walk thru in real life is practically impasable in UDK... so either the default character is bigger than me, and I'm pretty big or something is wrong.

[Edit] okay I tried the 1UU = 1cm and all I can say it's that, that is the default "real world" measure. The hallway I had trouble passing thru is now very close to reality

Comment

For those that respond "why, just leave it as unreal units" when someone asks "how do I change the scale", its because people use real world units in nearly every other 3d application.
          The current player height is 96uu for the august build of UDK.
          The older player height was 72uu.

When creating assets for a game, a relative scale must be achieved to match the player height (effecting runspeed, gravity, jump height etc), but UDK has changed (again)
          When creating assets, things like chairs, cars, doorways have a real world scale (in cm or the older inches). This is why people are asking what the scale is, as you make them in real world units. (BTW max default scale is inches ie generic units. you should never change this, and just change the viewport scale so as to not affect the object size).
          Also, Lighting reacts on a real world scale. It has falloff and other properties that require correct sizing.
          When obtain assets from model libraries, they are usually created in real world scale.

Since unreal just uses the "whatever" method of scaling, you have to make unique assets for that unreal project. It would be easier for unreal to actaully have a uu=cm or uu=inch... but no one seems to have an answer.

frustrating.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord_Mew View Post
            well, I tried using sketchup and exporting as .dae, it works, but I also had to scale everything, but the building didn't work very well.

My question is, what is the current setting for UU in UDK, cause I tried doing 1UU = 2cm, but that didn't work, I'm using a real building's schematic and I've been inside the real thing, and a hallway I can easily walk thru in real life is practically impasable in UDK... so either the default character is bigger than me, and I'm pretty big or something is wrong.

[Edit] okay I tried the 1UU = 1cm and all I can say it's that, that is the default "real world" measure. The hallway I had trouble passing thru is now very close to reality
            It's all guestimate. 1uu=2cm is correct but default pawn in UDK is 96uu. So if you do the conversion, he's 192cm. Very tall human... size of NBA forwards. Come up with your own formula which you've already seemed to have. I model everything to scale in cm, then scale 0.6 before exporting.

Comment

Originally posted by zipstick View Post
              ... why would you want to change the unit size to metric ...
              To accommodate the system to something you've learned to use since childhood? Not everyone uses inches or feet in real life.

The point in these so called units is that they can be used as any size you want. They are not hard coded to be 1cm or 1" or 5'. You can decide what a single Unreal unit stands for and go from there and develop your assets and levels according to that scale.

The best thing about this is that you can later on decide to make something with a different scale, and you don't need to worry about the engine ******* all over itself in the process.

Maybe the only real problem arrives when going too far and realizing collision and lighting won't work as expected anymore (talking about player sizes that fit in 1/10th of an Unreal unit). (This was a problem in earlier engine versions at least if I remember correctly.)

Comment

Default UDK : 1UU = 2CM.
                That is it.

If you want to use a different ratio, go for it.
                I use 1UU = 1CM for to help with using a true first person view.
                All this means is that I need to make sure everyone working on levels and models remembers to scale up.

The UDN recommends no further then 1UU = 1CM because of issues with sound, physics and the like. If you wanted to go 1UU = 0.5CM or similar, then access to the full source code would be required (to do it properly).

Comment

There has been no change at all I the height of the stock character model. 96 units is 96 units. Ifyou set your max unit to 1cm then the character is 96cm. If you set it to inches, the character is 96 inches. If you set it to feet, the character is 96 feet.

keep in mind that although the model is 96 units, the utpawn is scaled to 1.06 so it is 6% larger in appearance.

Comment

Working...
                  X