Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing the Unreal unit size (UU) in UDK, possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing the Unreal unit size (UU) in UDK, possible?

Just browsing trough the documentation i came up with this http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/ChangingUnits.html topic which describes changing UU to something else than the default. However it seems that this refers to C++ code. Does anyone know if it is possible to adjust the UU unit size without the source code access?

I don't think they're referring to changing Unreal Units themselves.. nor can I think of why you'd want to.. what they're referring to is how each game typically compares them against real world units. For most games, 1 UU = 1 cm. for Gears of War, 2 UU = 1 inch.

This is up to the designer of course and only requires you to know how big your assets should be scaled in editor for consistency.

The other part you mention is not C++ but UnrealScript, which can be accessed by anyone, the point is to create subclasses of the code files under the development folder, this is how you code a game in UDK and Unreal Engine in general. So for the pawn class for instance, this would be relevant in terms of making movement speed, jump height and such proper if you plan on changing the "real world" scale.

Comment

Well worth mentioning that unreal also uses inches..
      But seriously why would you want to change the unit size to metric or alien??

Comment

I can think of a few reasons why.

I've been staring at the "Changing Unreal Units" Doc on UDN quite a bit and trying to make heads or tails about what it is I have to do to get Gears of War Style measurements into UDK.

It's kind of hard to know what is is you have to do when they gloss over it so badly it's leaves out a lot in terms of what has to be changed.

They even have the Words "and more" in the section of what needs to be changed in the Pathing section of that doc...

"...and more" what?

Honestly I just want to use Gears of Wars measurements standards (2uu = 1 inch) in my own projects. Epic seems to have done it and it worked out pretty well for them, Why be so vague on what has to be changed?

If anyone knows how to do this, Please let me know or point me at the tutorial because google is just not being friendly with that bit of secret information.

Thank you.

If I ever figure this out before anyone clues me in (I can't see that happening with out some hints however) I'll be sure to let you all know how this is done. However as it sits right now I am completely 100% lost. And it's looking pretty hopeless with out a full list of exactly what need to be changed or how.

Comment

Well, then say that 2UU = 1Inch in your scale for all your models, and go with it.

Generally, unless you're making some really bizarre changes to scale, you wouldn't need to modify stuff, and if you do need to go that far out to change it, that stuff in that document is mostly native. Changing Scout for pathing requirements is probably about all you might need to do, but if you stick to a relatively normalish scale, then you're probably alright with the default values.

Of course, keep in mind, that building everything in a game world to scale sometimes leads to some rather boring gameplay. which is why the Unreal games all feel like you're a giant running around in a world built for midgets.

Comment

This question seems to come up a lot. I never quite understand why. Basically an Unreal Unit is anything you want it to be.

Comment

Right, although if you want to do something really out there, you may need to mess with Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Ninjabuntu View Post
                Honestly I just want to use Gears of Wars measurements standards (2uu = 1 inch) in my own projects.
                There you go, you just changed it! Just build all of your models and levels using that scale, and you're fine.

Comment

Yes but according to the Changing Units Docs Things like gravity and the Like are not quite right. Plus there is the whole 1rst person Camera issue to deal with. Okay well I'll take a deeper look.

the Doc makes it sound as if there is more to it then just modeling and mapping to a 2uu=1inch measurement scheme...

Sigh, If only the UDN was a little more clearly written for idiot artist like me...

Comment

well, yes, you may have to play with the default gravity number, the jumpz, the groundspeed .. but no matter what you do, you'll probably need to play with those anyway

Comment

Originally posted by zipstick View Post
                      Well worth mentioning that unreal also uses inches..
                      But seriously why would you want to change the unit size to metric or alien??
                      Because in my entire life I used metric units ? ;p

Anyway in UDK 1UU = 2cm.

Comment

Originally posted by Blade[UG] View Post
                        Right, although if you want to do something really out there, you may need to mess with Scout
                        This is the most significant problem, because using a custom scout causes the UDK to crash

Comment

i've heard that, maybe that's why the projects that i've seen modify Engine.Scout rather than subclassing..

Comment

Just passing through when I saw this thread. I assume you have been subclassing the Engine.Scout class to achieve custom scaling of navigation specific constants. This might have been acceptable in UT3 or UDK December Beta (don't know, haven't played it), but since the introduction of the UDKBase package of classes, most of the native functionality of UTScout is actually derived from the native UDKBase.UDKScout: UTScout is not directly subclassed from Engine.Scout, as the BeyondUnreal wiki pages currently state, but from UDKBase.UDKScout, which contains native functionality without which UDK might crash.

Short version: Try subclassing from UDKBase.UDKScout and setting your navigation specific constants such as jump height, fall height, etc. in that subclass.

Comment

I didn't even know there was a UTScout, let alone a UDKScout .. my projects don't have either the UDKBase or UTGame code

Comment

Working...
                              X