More Content?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eraserhead2416 View Post
    The thought process, I would bet, behind UDK is to introduce to everyone who is curious to Unreal engine. The atmosphere in gaming is very interesting, with a massive push for indie content. The fact that most people interested in game design now see Unreal Engine as the #1 (free!) option only helps Epic.

What we ought to do is set up a network of sharing original assets. Most people are understandably uptight about sharing a main character model, but more "filler" content, like furniture and light fixtures to share freely, would only help a lot of people. I see some of the more "elitist" types now labeled as banned, so that's a step towards a more helpful community.

The inevitable conclusion you'll probably come to is that you want to create more original content. When the labels on cans lying around, or the exact look of a door knob does not satisfy you, you'll have to learn the workflow just to tweak it.

Just stick with it through the hard times, you will have a breakthrough, and everything after that will start to become natural. I'm still an absolute beginner, but I know 50x what I did only three months ago.
    Love the idea of a sharing created assets between each other, might be an idea for a decent website actually. I've got a ton of models that I've done to date that might be of use to some people that I no longer (or wont) use, but might be of use to some others out there without the knowledge to create them themselves.

Comment

You cant use Epic assets in commercial project anyway.But if you have GoW/UT3/Other games that use UE3, you can ripp off all content and use it to learn. IT will of course need more work, you need to prepare yyour own materials, etc, but oh it's still faster than doing everything from scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by iniside View Post
        You cant use Epic assets in commercial project anyway.But if you have GoW/UT3/Other games that use UE3, you can ripp off all content and use it to learn. IT will of course need more work, you need to prepare yyour own materials, etc, but oh it's still faster than doing everything from scratch.
        It certainly is faster. Just as a side note, releasing a noncommercial game that uses UT3/GoW assets that did not come with the UDK is not permitted by Epic.

Comment

You cant use Epic assets in commercial project anyway.But if you have GoW/UT3/Other games that use UE3, you can ripp off all content and use it to learn.
          I hope that you don't mean to rip then and use them in udk cause that's not a legal action either. Ripping a game's content and use it to some other app even if it comes from the same company is against copyright law.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePriest909 View Post
            I hope that you don't mean to rip then and use them in udk cause that's not a legal action either. Ripping a game's content and use it to some other app even if it comes from the same company is against copyright law.
            OF course is not legal. But If you use it for learning and do not redistribute.. Who really cares then ?
            I ask really if you want to learn tool and environment design you have two options:
            1) rip all content and jump on to design
            2) make everything from scratch, and essentialy learn to use 3D design app not UnrealED

Comment

OF course is not legal. But If you use it for learning and do not redistribute.. Who really cares then ?
              I ask really if you want to learn tool and environment design you have two options:
              1) rip all content and jump on to design
              2) make everything from scratch, and essentialy learn to use 3D design app not UnrealED
              3) Use the already existed stuff in udk which are enough for learning
              4) Use UT3 editor for UT3 or Gow editor for Gow.

I'm very typical with these stuff cause it happens to be a professional (sound designer) artist myself and I don't really fancy the idea of people around the world ripping my content for practice.
              It's just about respecting other peoples work.

Comment

Working...
              X