Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to creation package folder for UDK ? I am so disappointed for content package

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to creation package folder for UDK ? I am so disappointed for content package

I open content browser , but the package can't to creation any folder , must use the unused UTGAME source ...
    how can I creation myself folder ?

I am disappointed , because the UDK content browser package is only for UTGAME , can't creation myself folder and everything texture /material ...etc can't backup ... right ?

I think UDK and UE3 the different is content browser package , UDK content browser package is very very more limit , you even can't backup own package folder.

Comment

Or you just don't know how

When you import stuff, you can define your own package. Also you must remember to save the package before you shut down the program, otherwise it's lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Xendance View Post
        Or you just don't know how

When you import stuff, you can define your own package. Also you must remember to save the package before you shut down the program, otherwise it's lost.
        But I try one day , I real can't create my package folder , you can tell to me how to do this please ?
        ex:
        packages:
        engine
        UTGame
        New package
        My stevenchau package folder - mygame metrial - metrial a / metrial b/metrial c...
        My brother package folder .........

can I do this ??? now I only create package , can't folder

Comment

It would be easier to help you if you could communicate your problems more clearly. But if I'm understanding you correctly, you want UDK to read from other folders besides just UTGame. I'm not certain if the modding architecture is intact in UDK, but you should be able to indicate a mod folder in the ini files and UnrealEd should be able to read from it and recognize that you have packages there.

Comment

I did just face a relevant anomaly when I installed a newer version (March build) of UDK: I was attempting to simply create a package, but it was putting my contents in unspecified locations and not creating the package.
            I was doing everything I had done to create the same package in my previous version, including package name. Eventually, I had to name my package something else and it decided to work. Odd. Perhaps he ran into something like this?

Comment

Son, I am disappoint.

Comment

Hm, odd.

When I import something and make a package, it normally pops up in the same place with all my other packages... but if you save one, you can pick where you want to ave it if you save it for the first time.

Comment

I believe you may well be able to change some of the paths within the config inis.

Comment

Guys just go into the content folder and create your own Directory i.e. MyGameDirectory.
                    Save your packages and maps in there. UDK won't bother adding any of the existed packages in the cooked game if you don't use any of the assets included, but only the engine packages and your stuff.

Comment

He is inarticulately referring to the ability to specify a new base folder besides UTGame. Go read the ini's steven, especially the base and default inis. Regardless, why do you care if it's in UTGame or SteveFolder? The end user wouldn't know.

Comment

Psch, steven left us. http://forums.epicgames.com/showpost...2&postcount=32 He's doing more advanced stuff now. Real stuff you know, back to the roots do it yourself all stuff.

The UDKGame (former, UTGame) folder is hardcoded even if the .ini suggest it were configurable (they try to come to this I read). That is shouldn't be an issue though, as said.

Comment

Well that sucks but I can understand that, sometimes the simplest things get you with UE. If you understand the limitations you usually just suck it up and work within those bounds, unfortunately its just one of those things you have to deal with and no doubt there will be similar issues with any engine.

I dont really understand why the directory structure is so limited considering the package files got a major overhaul. I thought everything would work great now packages can contain any assets and reside in any directory. One example of a problem Ive had is opening a map from another UDK version, you actually have to duplicate all the files over because the new UDK version only checks its own directories for packages.

With 3dsmax you could put all your texture maps in the same directory as the max file and they would automatically be found regardless of the explicit path set to the asset. I wouldnt mind something similar for UDK, that way you can run you mod independently from UDK engine versions without having to duplicate it for each and every version. I mean, the files are compatible obviously if UDK opens them and it warns you when you try opening a newer UDK version with an older UDK version.

Comment

that sounds like a good idea, adding "same directory as I opened from" to the path to search for loading assets.

Comment

Working...
                            X