Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by hensoup View Post
    so Unreal Script cannot implement PHP? Been interested if UDK can link to PHP and SQL if thats works you could sort of make a grid of servers to emulate the idea.
    Well, unreal script is a scripting language itself. However, it's not terribly unreasonable, especially if you are only talking about one way communication, that you could use dllbind to send data to an external php form to write to a SQL db, or just write directly to the db through code.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    so Unreal Script cannot implement PHP? Been interested if UDK can link to PHP and SQL if thats works you could sort of make a grid of servers to emulate the idea.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Economy in unrealscript would be inefficient. Unless it's some individual game server kind of thing, as opposed to MMO server farm.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I think the only workaround with appearance would be using instance material. Setting up the character hair colour or texture skin could be done through scripting, I don't know how but It doesn't sound too difficult since you can access properties. About the body part except using blend shape I have no idea how it could be done. Maybe presets face using a face modeler tool like facegen modeler and then save a 100 different faces.

That said I guess the building tool and changing appearance to be as good as APB need to be done from ground up. Economy can be done with scripting I guess.

Changing stuff during runtime is always difficult without a good persistence system and mechanism. I wouldn't even try to do something unscripted if I don't have the source code.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi guys,

Many thanks for the feedback.

We are examining several aspects of VW functionality. Could you let me know which ones you think would have to be coded from scratch? We are quite confident already with teleporting, with communicating, and with movement (we plan on have a vehicle script for flying, but in a simple attachment).

Is it the build tools, the changing of appearance, or the economy you think needs a ground-up coding approach? Or is it the concept of introducing changes to the world during run-time?

Thanks again for the feedback.

Rock

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Rives View Post
    Sure, OGRE is pretty awesome for an open source renderer. But I don't think you'll achieve something on the same level as, for instance, APB without a huge team and a lot of time. I remember APB was announced several years back and it's still in production.
    I know a couple of the guys working on it... it's been in production at least 2 and a half years by now?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    either way there is no way to achieve what he wants with udk so Ogre is a sort middle ground solution. There is a lot of tool and countless tutorial created by the community and he could use all that knowledge for free

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Sure, OGRE is pretty awesome for an open source renderer. But I don't think you'll achieve something on the same level as, for instance, APB without a huge team and a lot of time. I remember APB was announced several years back and it's still in production.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Given the type of project, they'd have to program most of the game from scratch anyway - and with an open source renderer, at least they have access to the code they needed.

There are other good renderers out there too, mind.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Sueds, you have to understand that OGRE is a mere rendering engine, not a full-blown game engine. They'll have to code most of the game from scratch.

Either way you look at it, making any kind of MMO takes a lot of time and hard work. The best approach would be writing your own engine, thus you would have total control over it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I Don't think you could do that because changing the world ingame or create external too to plug them in the game isn't possible without source code. Scripting won't help you. Pick Ogre instead. A great open source game library with a set of great tool. You also need a team of programmers. But with this kind of project you can't afford not having them

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I reckon it would be extremely difficult to maintain such a large scale project without access to the source code. Bug tracking and solving would be itchy, because all you can really do is manage it from the UScript & the other tools, which I find to be quite difficult.

It's a great idea nonetheless.

PS: The APB avatars look amazing! @_@

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Using the UDK for Virtual Worlds - Results

Using the UDK for Virtual Worlds - Results

Hi guys,

Our initial results for investigating whether the UDK can be used for building standalone Virtual Worlds are now in. Here is the link.

I would appreciate any comments on our findings (either here, on on the blog comments).

Thanks

Rock
Working...
X