Using the UDK with OnLive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using the UDK with OnLive

I was wondering if Epic Games knew if it was possible to use the UDK to make games that would run on the OnLive system.

It might be, but OnLive is pretty impractical anyway, I'm not sure why you'd want to do it.

Comment

Hey if OnLive works, then you could make some pretty intense games that would run really well just about anywhere.

Comment

My personal stance with OnLive is quite simple - there was a time, around a decade ago when your game server had absolute authority, and all your game client did was render and interpret keypresses. Things moved on for a reason - it didn't work well. Streaming back the video on top of the game state just isn't practical, especially for anyone not within close proximity to the OnLive server, or without a 10mb broadband connection.

OnLive is also US-only, and could only really be US-only. With an indie title like a UDK game, that's a massive limit on your potential sales.

Comment

OnLive isn't really all that impressive for indie developers. You'd be better off publishing on Amazon/Steam/Direct2Drive, which are all global websites, which offer a download of your game. For it to work with OnLive, you'd have to contact them, and probably modify your game to fit their system.

Comment

I don't need everyone telling me how pointless OnLive is, I just want to know if it would work and if so how.

Comment

Originally posted by Nerdy3.14159265 View Post
              I just want to know if it would work
              That's pretty much what the rest of the world wants to know too

Comment

Please read my earlier post...

I don't need everyone telling me how pointless OnLive is, I just want to know if it would work and if so how.
                Originally posted by CrystalCore
                For it to work with OnLive, you'd have to contact them, and probably modify your game to fit their system.
                Basically, no one knows yet if OnLive will work well at all. If you've got a game to the level where you need to worry about OnLive, then email/phone them and find out. If you have a game you're thinking about making for OnLive, don't.

Comment

I think it's a trivial question, that presumes that you have a near final product, only then do you worry about this.

I would suggest focusing on development of your game/idea, this is like eating the cake before its even in the oven.

And yes, unreal 3 engine is most likely supported by the OnLive services, check out their partners.
                  http://www.onlive.com/partners.html

Comment

Originally posted by ScribbleHEAD View Post
                    I think it's a trivial question, that presumes that you have a near final product, only then do you worry about this.

I would suggest focusing on development of your game/idea, this is like eating the cake before its even in the oven.

And yes, unreal 3 engine is most likely supported by the OnLive services, check out their partners.
                    http://www.onlive.com/partners.html
                    That's where the idea came from, and I figured someone from epic would know. I'm just curious if it's possible, so I can keep in mind for the future, I don't know if they need something extra coded in that would effect everything.

Comment

I was wondering if Epic Games knew if it was possible to use the UDK to make games that would run on the OnLive system.
                      Let's also look at the practical side of things...

OnLive is a proprietary platform... owned by a single company... who has complete control over whether or not their servers run your software. Good luck with 3rd Party mods, good luck with indie developers, good luck with back-catalog games.

If they don't want your game on their server, you're screwed. Simple. Kill it with fire.

Comment

"With an open standards-based philosophy and a standardized PC development target, you can leverage existing tools and technology you already know on an architecture that’s extremely well-understood."

Does this mean their tools are going to be easy to pick up or we can actually use our own? Wouldn't be surprised if you had to have a full UE license to submit your game though..

Comment

From what Steve Perlman stated -- they're basically Windows PCs with standard hardware.

Though like I said above... apart from gaming as art being demolished by this...

You have no control whether you get installed on their servers.

And while I don't see any reason for UDK games to not be playable on OnLive... according to Steve Perlman's talks... do you really think they'll give more than just a few token indie developers UI space next to the giant publishers?

Lastly -- Steve Perlman (except for MOVA which is part of OnLive... thus doesn't count) has never kept a single product he created.

Chances are we'll see OnLive eventually snapped up by Rupert Murdoch in his Gamespy Arcade initiative... Newscorp is one of the few companies that has good enough relations with the Telcom companies to hold OnLive... and likely make it a premium service attached to your phonebill next to internet access, digital/IP TV, and long-distance phone.

Avoid OnLive if you value open platforms... consoles aren't really much better... but avoid it.

Comment

Working...
                          X