Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have UDK increase illuminate labs Beast effect ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bslashingu View Post
    Throwing a dominant light into the level won't yield the same exact results as it did in Mirror's Edge, like I said before, so give it some time and work, it'll take a little while to achieve the same result.
    haha you start to understand, guess what in mirror edge editor they drop just light two three stuff and finish. In unrealed it will be like dropping a sunlight adjust and finish. So when when you are telling give it some time and work, i agree its possible i never said is impossible but after how much time ?! have a ride in mirror edge editor in pc and u will get the point.

Comment

I don't believe they "just drop a sunlight" in mirror's edge, feel free to prove me wrong though

Comment

Mirror's Edge and the Mirror's Edge editor have been setup to look like that. There is nothing special about their illumination solver, the look and feel is coming from the settings that were fed into it. You can achieve the same look with Lightmass you'll just need to play with a bajillion settings to do it, same as if you were given a stock copy of Beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Xendance View Post
          I don't believe they "just drop a sunlight" in mirror's edge, feel free to prove me wrong though
          drop a sunlight..... i dont know may be i dont speak english. let me repeat, the time u will spend in mirror edge will be less than the time spend with lightmass to achieve same.

Comment

Originally posted by Makaze View Post
            You can achieve the same look with Lightmass you'll just need to play with a bajillion settings to do it, same as if you were given a stock copy of Beast.
            Sir can you clarify please, bajillion settings ? please explain....

Comment

Relevant settings are:

For dominant light:
              -Brightness
              -Colour

For ambient lighting (in editor, go to view -> world properties -> lightmass):
              -Color
              -environment intensity

So the dominant directional light is your sun, which acts as the direct sunlight caster.
              Ambient/environment lighting works as that blueish ambient lighting that comes from all directions.

Comment

There's no need to integrate lightmass. Just place a dominant directional light on the level (which acts as the sunlight source) and build your level.
                ==============================================
                Remember to adjust environmental ambient lighting in world properties too. And don't use completely white light, it won't look natural.
                Mirror's Edge and the Mirror's Edge editor have been setup to look like that. There is nothing special about their illumination solver, the look and feel is coming from the settings that were fed into it. You can achieve the same look with Lightmass you'll just need to play with a bajillion settings to do it, same as if you were given a stock copy of Beast.
                Relevant settings are:

For dominant light:
                -Brightness
                -Colour

For ambient lighting (in editor, go to view -> world properties -> lightmass):
                -Color
                -environment intensity

So the dominant directional light is your sun, which acts as the direct sunlight caster.
                Ambient/environment lighting works as that blueish ambient lighting that comes from all direction
                Understood will try it today only, will revert back.... Thanks for all

Comment

ohh boy, if you was GOOD you could recreate very similar stuff with UT3 lights, it would of taken along time and alot of messing around, this could be done though default lights and your own lighting mode in the texture, lightmass takes this effort out, beast, will not be too disimilar from lightmass, what I suggest you to do is learn lightmass, or the alternative, buy it for a huge lump of money.

To prove what I mean, a few months ago I tried to make a similar level to morrors edge, the following is what I made on my own in UT3, while ok its not lightmass or mirrors edge, I am not a huge company with a big budget to get someone to fix thigns or make look good. I am a student and am learning UT3 and now moving onto UDK.

Also found this while making that
                  http://www.illuminatelabs.com/press/...edge_gdc09.pdf
                  no simple single light, no win button as people keep wanting.

Comment

That curve editor they have in beast really gives unique life to each scene.

Comment

Hi guys,

It works fine and calmed all my worries, thanks for all.

Because you guy seems to be scientist of light, can i ask you why then mirror edge bought beast instead of using dominant directional light and unreal lightmass ???

Best regards

Comment

I am guessing that is because lightmass wasn't available then?

Comment

The curves editor and the ability to roughly simulate dynamic global illumination by creating lighting zones throughout the level are two features that Beast has that Lightmass doesn't to my knowledge. But the main reason is that Illuminate Labs is wholly owned by EA and Mirror's Edge was developed by... EA. So they didn't pay a dime for it, they already owned it. In fact you'll notice that virtually all of the Beast promo material is from Mirror's edge so if I had to guess I'd say that Beast was developed right along side Mirror's Edge.

Also yeah, Lightmass didn't exist then.

Comment

ok i see.... thanks and regards

Comment

Working...
                            X