Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I design use UTscript creative MMORPG / RAC / ACT / FIG ... game ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

maybe only FPS ????
    I so want to know what can I do for UDK

any post can I read about ??

Technical FAQs

Can I create any kind of game with UDK?
    Absolutely. UDK is the perfect solution for any kind of virtual world you wish to create, from racing games to simulations. Visit our Showcase to see some of the amazing creations our users have authored with UDK.
    http://udk.com/documentation.html

Comment

Though, I think an MMO might be a bit tough.

Comment

MMO you could do if you were thinking more like Guild Wars and kept the number of players down per instance to maybe 50, and brutally optimised netcode.

Comment

The Chronicles of Spellborn(MMO) built with Unreal engine.

Comment

Yes, but that doesn't mean anything in terms of the UDK. Presumably they had access to the source and do could do useful things like
            * Read and write files.
            * Have more than 64 players per server.

Comment

Huxley is also a MMO built in the Unreal Engine http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/action/hux...result;title;0

Comment

An MMO game requires drastic changes to the standard netcode of the unrealengine. Just because there are MMO games using UE3 doesn't mean they use the stock code. Yes, you can create an MMO game using the UDK, but with serious limitations and it will not work well.

Comment

So if you wanted to go beyond the 64 player limit, you'd have to rewrite that part of the code and have a serious network in place?

Comment

Moreover, you can't actually forcibly re-write that part of the code - it's tucked away natively. You'd have to work around it, which means a heavy-handed hacky implementation. UDK just isn't designed for MMO games.

Comment

Well, not a 'serious' network (their networking is pretty 'serious'), but an action game and an MMO optimize for totally different things.

I believe that most of the MMOs using Unreal have pretty much replaced the entirety of Unreal's net code. From what I've seen of the docs, some of the basic tools that would be required to make it more MMO-friendly may be available, but probably not at the script level.

You'd also need a very strong understanding of how Unreal's netcode and replication works... just 'write it like it's local, then adapt for networking' won't work - start with thinking about what functions are run where, and what data does (or does not) need to be replicated. Even with that, I suspect you'd run into some limitations at some point that probably couldn't be bypassed in script.

If someone was really serious about doing an MMO in UDK, I'd also suggest looking at whether or not enemies should actually be pawns or not. There may be a valid case to have them not be Pawns to reduce network and CPU utilization.

Comment

Originally posted by elmuerte View Post
                        An MMO game requires drastic changes to the standard netcode of the unrealengine. Just because there are MMO games using UE3 doesn't mean they use the stock code. Yes, you can create an MMO game using the UDK, but with serious limitations and it will not work well.
                        No, you just need to understand how to do it, and drop the intire unreal netcode and use your own netcode / TCPLink / unreal script / optimize the way you wish to process packets from your internal netcode to/from UDK (what the send, what to update ect) and visa versa.

Your only limitation is time you wish to use to optimize.

----

Did any of you see a MMO made with UDK (no!, its new so i bet not), did any of you try making it so far and did test with TCPLink / your own socket layer ect ? (doubt you had time to do so already).

So where do you all get that conclusive data ????, that its only possible to make MMO with UDK if it has "serious" limitations ? its just something you all pull out of your sleaves, it have no real life hold, noone tried it yet and failed/succeeded, its all just the "omg its mmo!!! no no you cant, i dont know, but i just say you cant, because its a MMO!!!!".

Comment

Because if it was possible to do it with TCPLink elegantly, someone would have done it in either UT3, UT2004 or even the original UT, back in 1999. The TCPLink class exists in all three of those iterations.

TCPLink is slow, and often unreliable. These are not qualities you want to base your MMO net code on.

Comment

Originally posted by ambershee View Post
                            Because if it was possible to do it with TCPLink elegantly, someone would have done it in either UT3, UT2004 or even the original UT, back in 1999. The TCPLink class exists in all three of those iterations.

TCPLink is slow, and often unreliable. These are not qualities you want to base your MMO net code on.
                            Dude, you not basing your netcode on TCPLink, its just a layer between your netcode and UDK

(Just excample)
                            [UDK] <-> [TCPLink] <-LAN-> [Your Netcode (C++, C# ect)] <-WAN-> [your mmo server(c++, c# ect)].

Green = local computer.
                            Lemon = Remote server.

Does not matter how "slow" it is, if i eg: tell a player to move from point A to point B using pathfinding, thats like what ? 20 bytes packet, and few lines of unreal script ? how the ... can that be too much for it to handle.

You handle most of the calculations it in the C++/C# or whatever local client/server for TCPLink, and on the server side (wan) C++/C# ect server, or are you telling me C++ and/or C# is "slow" now too ?.

You do NOT make TCPLink/unrealscript do the calculations and other heavy stuff.

EDIT : Btw, you can replace [TCPLink] with [UDPLink] for local connection between your network layer and UDK if your scared of loosing packets internally, purely logically, i see no reason why this should not be possible for large scale MMO.

Also, its ofcourse easier if its a top down or isometric/orthographic mmo, because of limits of onscreen items that needs updating, but even if not, i see no problems.

EDIT2 : Your wondering why noone else did it ? well, who would want to if you cant make money on it, it IS alot of work, tons of work infact, does not mean you cant do it.

Comment

If it's so feasible, go head and try it then. UnrealScript may only be handling your gameplay code, but it's still slow (over twenty times slower than the equivalent C++ code) - and on top of that, the TCPLink implementation takes a lower priority than that gameplay code that it's incorporated within.

You're certainly welcome to do it, and prove me wrong, but at the end of the day, is such a workaround really worth it, when you can just as work from the base up with a renderer you have the source for, and produce something far, far more functional?

Comment

Working...
                              X