Mastering Unreal Technology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by grantmoore3d View Post
    Does anyone know why it's being delayed so much? Is it just waiting to be printed or is it still being written. I haven't finished Vol 1 / II, but the scripting is what I was looking forward to the most
    I'm afraid I don't even know what's going on - perhaps someone at 3dBuzz may be able to clarify. It's likely an issue with printing and publishing, since as far as I'm aware, the vast bulk of the written work was completed quite some time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir. Polaris View Post
      Just got this today
      I got my order cancelled to =( really sucked! but that was on the first book, would be really nice to have them on my desk (can not have them in my book shelf is Iam using them )

Comment

I've been reading Volume II and I'm really disappointed. Nothing works as advertised with the UDK. I've finished everything up to and including chapter 5. I don't know if its the maps and packages on the DVD or the UDK. But I've wasted hour after hour, and I'm not satisfied with the results.

Volume I was great. Volume II leaves a lot to be desired. Don't waste your money if you're using the UDK. It seems to me that Epic should be debugging their product, using these books as a guide. Buy the book, try it, and if it don't work, fix the code.

Maybe I'll try again, six months from now when the UDK is more stable.

Comment

Jason Busby "Mastering Unreal Technology, Volume III: Introduction to UnrealScript with Unreal Engine 3"

Estimated ship date is April 08 2010
          - for at least Canadians

It looks like every month it will be moved back now

Comment

rmgalante: hmm.. that sounds odd.. although it was published in September, so it's definitely covering an older version of the editor. It's not like there's a huge amount of difference, except for the Content Browser versus the old Generic Browser... and you can get the old Generic Browser with a command line switch somewehre I think..

Comment

One would think 3dbuzz would have a forum just for the books. They don't. You have to use the Unreal Technology forum in Gaming. And the support is just not there. So I come here. But Epic didn't write the books. So its hard to tell if its a bug in the UDK or a problem with the maps and packages in the book. I think it's both.

Comment

rmgalante: Zak replied in your other thread. The books were written for UT3 *not* UDK. If you're trying to do the exercises in UDK, you will run into issues as Epic continually updates the engine and features change. I would recommend either doing the exercises using the editor provided with the book or learning to work around the differences.

Comment

Well, I took the time to download the UT3. I ran the UT3 editor and then I created the first tutorial in Chapter 4. It worked! So, it looks like all the problems I'm having are with the UDK, not the book. I'm going to start over, but I'm not going to use the UDK. It's too much hassle, and I've wasted way too many hours.

Comment

hopefully once you know that stuff pretty well, then you can translate that knowledge into something that's easier to work with the current version of the tools.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir. Polaris View Post
                      - for at least Canadians

It looks like every month it will be moved back now
                      yep same on Amazon UK. I have really been waiting for this book so I can get stuck in to unrealscript. I seen the old 3dbuzz free vids which helped me understand quite a lot and been reading through the UDN docs and scripts but I think I will learn best from this book as the guys at 3dbuzz know how to teach well and get concepts across. has anyone any news on when it will be released?

Comment

Working...
                      X