X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mastering Unreal Technology

How are those books?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/067...2DEXCP819RZJM8

I'm halfway through Volume 1 now and I really feel like I am learning a lot. The authors are very clear in their explainations and move at a manageable pace. You should know that this book was written for UT3 editor and not UDK and there are some differences that I have noticed betwen the two. The book does come with a Steam digital download of Unreal Tournament 3 so you can choose to use UT3 editor if you like. I chose to use UDK. You can see examples of some of the exercises that are in the book in my blog. (a link is in my sig) I hope that helps.

Comment

What is differences?

Comment

depends how much skill you have. If you have like zero knowledge of game pakacge or 3d pakage at all this a really good place to start. But if you already did moding I don't really know how good they can be. You can read some sample on safari. Can havea good look and decide whether or not you want to buy the book. ( thanks to this website I didn't download the first one since it was just basics)

Comment

I have Volume 3 on order, and am anticipating that one since it deals with UnrealScript. Unfortunately, the publishing jerks have delayed it two months; hopefully I'll get it by Christmas.

I have Volume 2 and am pretty happy with it. At 900 pages, it certainly has a lot of info. But it is well-delineated into topics by chapter so you can use it as reference and just look at the topic you want to learn about.

The tutorials are pretty good and easy to follow. The only downside to them, really, is the pictures are small and black-and-white. I know color is rarely used due to it being expensive, but because most shots are of a full window, the images can be difficult to make out any detail. It would have been nice if more of the shots were zoomed in on the important details. They also could have used the full page for them more, as most are crammed into half a page.

sueds is right; Volume one is an introductory tome more intended for people brand new to it. Also, both Volumes one and two cover just the editor; no scripting, though there is good coverage of Kismet.

***EDIT: Arrgggh! Just checked the Amazon site again, and Vol. 3 is pushed back again. Now the supposed release date is Christmas day (it had been 12/18, after originally being 10/30). grumble, grumble.

Comment

I have both books and have book number 3 on pre-order. Amazon pushed back my second book by 2 months and then sent it the next week, so I'm hoping the same will be done with the third.

In regards to the book, the first book is pretty basic, but it's suprising how much you actually miss when learning yourself so it's a very wise investment. The second book seems to expect you to know how everything works. Doing the material exercises, it felt like I was following along blindly and at the end I was greeted with a "Ta-Daaaaa!". They showed me what to do, but not the reasoning behind each step.

Some of the other chapters though are the complete opposite, for example the section on Sound. I went from not knowing anything regarding sound to pretty much knowing all I'll need to know as a level designer in one chapter, very clear and concise.

Overall, very good books and I would recommend to anyone learning the Unreal Engine, I just hope the third book will have my back instead of having me chase after it.

Comment

I picked up the second book and I'm so lost in it. I'm learning lots of how everything works but have no idea how to apply them Is the 1st book like a starter book that assumes that you don't even know what the unreal is? I think that's what I need to start basics help a lot.

Comment

the first is basicaly that but I'm pretty sure you can pick up stuff on tutorial all over the places. the video 3d buzz guys did are pretty good too.

I forgot to say I own the second one. And it's pretty cool even if I think it would be nicer to have cool tricks, but it's still a good reference.

I'm looking forward the next chapter too

Comment

I bought it!!!!!

Comment

It's a shame Volume 3 keeps getting pushed back.

Comment

Yeah I just hope they suddenly release them early like they did with the 2nd (well here in the UK they did anyway)

Comment

I ordered all 3 of these books yesterday from Amazon, the first 2 should turn up middle of next week but book 3 estimated February.

The price was not to bad at just £76 for all 3 including postage costs.

Comment

A small amount of the material in the Mastering Unreal books is available for free on the UDN if you want to take a look at what the material is like. Personally I love it and find it very useful.

EX:
                          http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Maste...ndRunning.html
                          http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Maste...Functions.html

Comment

Ok thankyou for the link, will go and take a look to see what they are like ahead of time.

Comment

Just got 2 this past week and it looks very good. The quality is excellent.

Comment

Working...
                              X