Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any advice for someone in h.s. junior year looking to be a game designer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    If you want to be a game designer, make games and play them, lots and lots of them. Dissect pen & paper RPG game systems. Pick up a bit of everything, from programming to psychology. Expect a long time before you'll be hired as one.

It seems though that what you really mean is game developer, artist in particular, so forget what I said.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    As said by CliffyB (I still call him that regardless of the press release), once you figure something out and if you're good at it ... keep doing it until you become a master at it. Theres not much point doing this and that and so on. Persistancy is the key.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snfGcT3pWtg

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yes, I have some advice.

Learn a marketable skill. This is the number one most important thing that you can do. Whether it is level design, scripting, programming, or art, learn something that is a marketable, demonstrable skill.

There are lots of people trying to get in the game industry that have "ideas." The ability to take those ideas and turn them into something tangible is what sets apart those who actually do manage to break into the industry.

Regardless of the educational path you take, get a copy of a good 3d program, and learn it. I don't care how awful your art is at first, the only thing that will really improve you is practice. There are a large number of people that are professional game artists that have no formal training. I could name names, but let's just say that they include people in senior positions on major titles

Also, game design in terms of education is usually aimed more at level design or scripting, or even programming rather than the art aspects. So make sure you're looking in the right place. Most "game designers" do not in fact produce art assets, though they may place them in a level.

As a high school junior you have the advantage of *time*. Use this. Practice. Make stuff. The number one thing that will improve your abilities is exercising them, more than any class.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    You want to find something that is more specific to art & 3d modeling. Anything that leads to movie/game animation. If you want to be the guy to make the models in the next Modern Warfare you need to be an artist first.

That's what i found when I was in your position at the same time. I even traveled to Cal State Fullerton and had a sit-down with someone in the arts program. This is one of the places Pixar hires people from (or did when I was visiting many years ago).

http://www.fullerton.edu/arts/

The Art Institute shouldn't be overlooked either.

If you really want to be adventurous call up art directors at any local studios that may be near you and ask for an "informational interview" concerning becoming a part of the game industry. You would be surprised who you can talk to. Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• Any advice for someone in h.s. junior year looking to be a game designer?

Hi everyone, im relatively new to the forums and i just wanted to know something that might help me with my entire future. Ever since i was little i wanted to be a game designer , one of the guys who does the artwork,modeling,and animating for a game. I go to an art highschool in NY,NY and im in junior year. I need to decide on a college starting this year, and i dont know what i should look for. I have gone to college fairs and whenever i ask them if they have game design they either arent sure, or dont know if thats even a major. i have only found i think 2 schools that actually CLAIM to have game design in them, there was one other that the lady said her friend learned to make a video game in , but when i checked to see if that was their major i didnt see it. ALLOT of colleges i have seen say they have graphics design, and in my high school that is one of 4 majors, animation*which im in, photography,graphic design, and architecture. I WAS in graphic design but when i found out that it was advertisements and stuff like that i transferred out.it was so boring, i didnt like it very much because it was only logos. Anyway i was wondering WHAT i should look for when applying to a college, anyone in the field please help. Thanks in advance.
Working...
X