Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Online play / Internet play

Hi,

just want to ask if it is possible with UDK to create online matches. In the UDK demo you can only choose LAN and also on the forums i saw a similar discussion that currently only LAN play is supported, but if i look at the Features under networking this is stated:

•Internet and LAN play support.

Now i don't mind to code the internet support together via a Master server like architecture or similar, just want to know if it is possible or will be in near future and if own work is needed how to go about it linking with UScript or .ini files, where the master server or similar should be noted. For the development time LAN is more than enough, also for pitching the game, but when it is completed nowadays you can't just give your customers LAN as the only option and if you don’t get a publishing deal but still want to self publish, buying the UE3 is really not much of an option.

Thank you for the answers and sorry haven’t really look much myself into UDK yet.

Ales

Its all there, we tested internet play and it works, but as-is its crude cuz you have to manually connect by opening console and envoking command. All the fancy part like a server browser an such is extras that you need to add...

Comment

Thank for your answer. Could you point me to those commands (maybe at udn or where should i look for them). Thanks again.

Comment

open <ip address>

It is possible to create a better interface, and indeed create your own master server (which can be communicated with via TCPLink).

Comment

Do you have more information on creating Master Server? A guide somewhere about this?

Originally posted by immortius View Post
          open <ip address>

It is possible to create a better interface, and indeed create your own master server (which can be communicated with via TCPLink).

Comment

I'm not aware of any guides yet, although it would seem like something that could be done once by someone and provided to the community. You'ld basically do it from scratch outside of UDK in whatever language was desired, for whatever OS(s) you desired.

Comment

Maybe this? This is whats used to make MasterServers .... or am I missing something?
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA9z0I4RPNw

Maybe UCC.exe MasterServer ?

Originally posted by immortius View Post
              I'm not aware of any guides yet, although it would seem like something that could be done once by someone and provided to the community. You'ld basically do it from scratch outside of UDK in whatever language was desired, for whatever OS(s) you desired.

Comment

If you decide to use GameSpy, they have an "API" of sorts to retrieve server listings.

All Unreal games use a text file for the Master Server which is just a one line per server list of all reporting servers and their IP addresses (I don't think there is anything other than a server name and an IP address, although even the server name might need to be queried).

With TCPLink you could easily read in this data source and parse it into a UIScene.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, what can you tell me about "Qtracker".. can that work well to do just that for UDK vanilla?

Originally posted by Sir_Brizz View Post
                  If you decide to use GameSpy, they have an "API" of sorts to retrieve server listings.

All Unreal games use a text file for the Master Server which is just a one line per server list of all reporting servers and their IP addresses (I don't think there is anything other than a server name and an IP address, although even the server name might need to be queried).

With TCPLink you could easily read in this data source and parse it into a UIScene.

Comment

Working...
                  X