Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is a total ban on engine comparisons wise?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brexer View Post
    Borderlands developers had full source.

Perhaps (i dont know this) they integrated something like http://www.geomerics.com/index.htm (Enlighten) or something, we on the other hand does not have that choice (and it doesnt come cheap)

Or, perhaps there's just a trick to it (perhaps write your own shader for the job?), i dont know though
    I was suggesting just a series of pre-calculated static lighting, and swapping between them. But, interpolating in between. If they're close enough together it should look okay, perhaps even add some softness to shadows in a good way. It comes with a factor of two, but sometimes that is reasonable, and often you can optimize out some of that factor.

Comment

I have to say, for the audience of UDK, I think it's preferable to have a good static lighting solution. Certainly it caters more to indie type games, and it allows serious effects.

I guess it's different when your game has a man walking in a indeterminate path with a lantern in the dark - or perhaps even many such men. But, I think some games aren't like that. And ultimately a more ray-tracing like solution will win in that space - just not quite yet. Deferred rendering is a good technology, but it depends very much on what you want to do, and what you want to do easily.

Comment

There are some comparisons already of Torque and the UDK a biased blog post from a garagegames employee can be found here:

http://www.garagegames.com/community/blogs/view/18741

Don't argue about his views here take it to the torque boards.

Comment

I think the engine vs. discussions do not really warrant a thread dedicated to it. There is enough information on the web to give you enough technical information. If you're deciding to switch engines and you are curious as to why you should go the UDK route as opposed to other engines is a decision that you cant make by asking other people on a forum. Ultimate an educated decision will be made by: A) Information you find on the web provided by the creators of that engine. B) Testing the engine out for yourself, level creation, asset implementation..ect.... C) Playing games made with the engine to give you a practical scope on some of the possibilities that can be done with that particular engine.

Asking information on a forum will get you two things. 1) A biased explanation and personal opinions of why the engine rocks or it doesn't. 2) copy/pasted material from the actually web site of the developer.

The engine you need to use falls upon the desired direction of the game/mod you would like to create. Ultimately aligning the technical application with your personal idea of how you view or would like the game to be. Nobody can answer that on a forum.

The question isn't which engine is better, rather which is more appropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Onikudaki View Post
            I think the engine vs. discussions do not really warrant a thread dedicated to it. There is enough information on the web to give you enough technical information. If you're deciding to switch engines and you are curious as to why you should go the UDK route as opposed to other engines is a decision that you cant make by asking other people on a forum. Ultimate an educated decision will be made by: A) Information you find on the web provided by the creators of that engine. B) Testing the engine out for yourself, level creation, asset implementation..ect.... C) Playing games made with the engine to give you a practical scope on some of the possibilities that can be done with that particular engine.

Asking information on a forum will get you two things. 1) A biased explanation and personal opinions of why the engine rocks or it doesn't. 2) copy/pasted material from the actually web site of the developer.

The engine you need to use falls upon the desired direction of the game/mod you would like to create. Ultimately aligning the technical application with your personal idea of how you view or would like the game to be. Nobody can answer that on a forum.

The question isn't which engine is better, rather which is more appropriate.
            One thing you fail to understand in your post is that forums exist to help members work through questions and problems. I think seeing if UDK is a good fit or not for a project is a legitimate thread post, just as is using constructive examples of why it would be a good or bad fit are also validated through comparisions.

Comment

We can't even get through a "why we should be able to discuss other engines" thread without insults.

Closing.

Comment

Working...
              X