Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is a total ban on engine comparisons wise?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is a total ban on engine comparisons wise?

I can see that it's good not to have many constant flamewars regarding various engines.

That said, I think it's a shame that someone can't come here and ask a question like:

"I'm currently using Torque and looking at alternatives, can anyone here can outline the reasons I might consider UDK?".

Well, they can ask, but we can't actually discuss it. Having such discussions always quickly terminated will look bad to those who are searching for comparisons between engines. People will come here seeking such comparisons, and without them, they'll only have the pro-Torque or pro-Unity or pro-whatever comparisons they find in the respective forums for those engines.

I'd suggest allowing comparisons as long as they are clearly genuinely new and informative. This would a allow a small number of threads that include the important information, and from then on links to those can be posted to quickly finish other repeat threads or those heading towards flames.

you've made a really good point. I support that but is mostly up to the mods

Comment

Maybe a dedicated category for discussing UDK vs *engine* threads?

Comment

Most people can't seem to have an intelligent discussion on anything without being biased and insulting people.

Comment

Originally posted by Apathy View Post
          Most people can't seem to have an intelligent discussion on anything without being biased and insulting people.
          it's true. Even without insulting most fan boy just pollute forum instead of informing people.

Comment

If you need to be convinced to not use Torque...

Comment

Some people genuinely don't know whether UDK is better than Torque. Granted, those people probably won't be doing much with either for a while. But, isn't this a reasonable place to ask that question?

Or are we unfriendly and don't even give an answer to that?

Comment

UDK for the win.

Seriously. It's ready to go for multi-player out of the box, it supports the most recent 3D modeling tools with supported exporting/importing tools. There is a large community actively involved in developing for it.

Comment

It probably wasn't the engine comparison that bugged the moderator but rather it was more likely to have been the dramatic tone of the thread that had a slight hint of "Let's bash GarageGames because they dissed our beloved UDK!"

Comment

I dont see a reason to compare engines at all, its quite simple infact.

1) Each engine is different (we know this)
                    2) You are going to use the engine that fits your needs, not what other tells you (logical).

Discussing "this" engine has "this" better then "this" and "that", is nothing other then ranting each engine against each other, because it can tell you 100%, each engine has something better then the other one has and visa/versa...

So what are you discussing infact ?

Nothing, you are using this engine or not, its your choice, comparing it with other engines are a simple waste of space, its up to YOU to find the engine of your choice, not us to research it for you.

Originally posted by rd1 View Post
                    "I'm currently using Torque and looking at alternatives, can anyone here can outline the reasons I might consider UDK?".
                    How ?, we dont know what your planning to do, why should WE tell you, and not YOU take some action yourself and check it out.

It doesnt matter if we tell you the sky is blue, if you dont look yourself, you cant know for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Brexer View Post
                      I dont see a reason to compare engines at all, its quite simple infact.
                      1) Each engine is different (we know this)
                      2) You are going to use the engine that fits your needs, not what other tells you (logical).
                      Discussing "this" engine has "this" better then "this" and "that", is nothing other then ranting each engine against each other, because it can tell you 100%, each engine has something better then the other one has and visa/versa...
                      So what are you discussing infact ?
                      Nothing, you are using this engine or not, its your choice, comparing it with other engines are a simple waste of space, its up to YOU to find the engine of your choice, not us to research it for you.
                      How ?, we dont know what your planning to do, why should WE tell you, and not YOU take some action yourself and check it out.
                      It doesnt matter if we tell you the sky is blue, if you dont look yourself, you cant know for sure.
                      You compare them so you know which one will fit you more.

Comment

Originally posted by johanz View Post
                        You compare them so you know which one will fit you more.
                        Take a notice to "YOU", not US.

I dont see why you need to compare it on a forum, we dont care what you need it for (sounds rude, i know), we dont need it for what you need it for.

(Example)
                        So what does it have to do with us that you think the renderer in something is better then the renderer in something else.

We dont need it, we need what we need it for, not what you need it for, and while you think its a bad renderer, we might need exactly that kind of renderer for our project.
                        (Example end)

So in the end, it will be users bashing each others, some swearing loyalty to one engine, some to other engines, and it will fill forum with trash that messes up search function (so a search finds like 10000 posts not even remotely on topic for what you need).

Comment

This is why we can't have nice things.

Comment

Exactly. A valid question would be like:

How many pointlights can I have on view at once, and does UE3 use forward rendering like "other engine"?

It's a fair question.

Comment

Originally posted by johanz View Post
                              This is why we can't have nice things.
                              What nice things are you referring too ?

If you want to discuss engine vs engine, there is other forums on the internet you know

Of course, im not speaking on Epic's behalf, but i do see why they dont want it, and i just agree on it.

Ive seen engine forum's filled with trash post about engine vs engine.

If you can use the engine, why ask if its better then some other engine ? why not just use it ?.

I just dont see it..

Originally posted by jeffro11 View Post
                              Exactly. A valid question would be like:

How many pointlights can I have on view at once, and does UE3 use forward rendering like "other engine"?

It's a fair question.
                              As you said, thats not engine vs engine thread, so of course those are valid, and that has never been a problem to ask that, infact, people have asked stuff like that and gotten answers without problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X