Assets bundled with UDK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assets bundled with UDK?

I find this a little weird. When I opened up the generic browser I didn't expect to see a buttload of GoW and UT3 assets in there. So what's the deal with use on them? There isn't anything mentioned in the licensing page about the assets bundled with UDK. I would guess that since they're included if you're releasing a game for free they wouldn't really care if you used any of their assets or not. But what if you're working ona commercial project? Obviously if one were to do this they would plan on making all their own assets for the game, but since they are bundled with UDK does that mean that Epic is okay with people using them so long as they are paying their royalties?

I'm a bit confused.

You can't use the UT3 assets for commercial projects. They are just there as an example, and to give people something to mess with while learning the tech.

Comment

There should be a way to make it all disappear when you're working on your own stuff right? like unload the package or something?

Comment

Advoc: Check the Master Guide thread in the documentation forum. I explain how to do this.

Comment

great. thanks!

Comment

Can I just make sure i get this right...

The use of ANY of the supplied assets/content/materials/textures etc. basically makes it illegal to SELL your game (even with the license).

However you can use ALL of the supplied assets and stuff if you release your game for free, without any kind of license?

Comment

Pretty much.

Comment

Thats the way I understand it. I mean there isn't any documentation about it on the UDK licensing page, but that makes the most sense.

Comment

Originally posted by RamSteelwood View Post
                  Can I just make sure i get this right...

The use of ANY of the supplied assets/content/materials/textures etc. basically makes it illegal to SELL your game (even with the license).

However you can use ALL of the supplied assets and stuff if you release your game for free, without any kind of license?
                  Yes. That's right.

Comment

I think the FAQ makes it clear that you can use it's assets:

Q: Can I release a commercial game that uses the “Unreal Tournament 3” assets included with UDK?

A: Yes, with one exception. You may not release anything marked as a SkeletalMesh in the Content Browser in a commercial UDK application.

Comment

You respondended to a 3 year old thread. It's obvious things will change in the timespan.

Comment

Working...
                      X