Glowing material that emit light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glowing material that emit light

I created a simple material that glows, trought emmisve, constant,etc. pretty straightforward. But it doesnt cast the color of the glow on surfaces,etc.
    Is it possible to do this trough materials or should i attach (link) a pointlight to the mesh. Ive tried to attach it to the 'base' of the mesh but that doesnt work. It is a skelatal mesh that im trying to illuminate. Any help would be appreciated..

In the mesh's lightmass options there should be a bUseEmissiveForStaticLighting that you need to set to true before it acts as a light

Comment

Thanks for the fast reply, but i couldnt find any lightmass options under the properties. Its a skeletalmesh, not a static mesh.

Comment

Just wondering... it's not under the UDN or Hourence's tutorial -- what happens with an animated emissive channel affecting Lightmass? I think I can just about safely assume the engine wouldn't blindly just BINK! a bunch of frames timed to the periodicity of your material's emissive effect... but rather that the engine would ignore it, choose some "average value", or more likely choose the initial value...

Anyone try this?

Comment

If you look in the UDN lightmass doc, it states that
          "•Currently mesh area lights don't affect dynamic objects. "

which would probably answer both of your questions

Comment

Yeah I read that as mesh area lights don't affect Physics objects (or something)... not that dynamic materials don't affect mesh area lights... so I don't think that's what I want to know. Saw that when I read the UDN though... maybe I misunderstood it <shrugs>

Comment

Originally posted by Phopojijo View Post
              Yeah I read that as mesh area lights don't affect Physics objects (or something)... not that dynamic materials don't affect mesh area lights... so I don't think that's what I want to know. Saw that when I read the UDN though... maybe I misunderstood it <shrugs>
              Yeah I just tried, seems it uses the initial position to calculate the light. Doesn't emit any dynamic light as far as I can see.

Comment

Originally posted by Crozz View Post
                If you look in the UDN lightmass doc, it states that
                "•Currently mesh area lights don't affect dynamic objects. "

which would probably answer both of your questions
                So what would be the best approach to light/illuminate a skeletalmesh/softbody, you can see a good example in the old UE3 video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m7T5ay_8DI 2:50min

Comment

They did that with a lightfunction I believe

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Light...ight Functions

Comment

The lightfunction works, it cast the material assigned trough the light. But i cant 'attach' the light to the softbody. Works great with rigidbodys but not with softbodys, so i still dont know how they did that in the video..

Comment

Working...
                    X