UDK updates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UDK updates?

I was just wondering how often EPIC plans to make updates to the UDK. Are there going to be quarterly or monthly builds? Or is UDK just going to be statc till some future date?

just wondering.

Also what is the backward compatibility stance from epic? This is beta, how many changes we should expect?

Comment

I would imagine that the feature set we have here (which is still amazing btw), is probably where it may stay at. Continual updates with new technology would be amazing, but given that we already have this fantastic engine in our hands for free, I just don't see how that's even remotely fair on Epic.

I imagine what we'll see is fixes to critical bugs that may exist, and general things like that.

Comment

From http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Devel...radeNotes.html :

"Epic creates new builds of Unreal Engine 3 at least daily, often 2-3 times per day. Each of these builds undergoes regression testing against a series of demonstration levels and content creation tasks to ensure its suitability for use. When we have created a build we feel is appropriate for public use, we release a new version of the Unreal Development Kit."

Go Epic!
        I didn't like the console-like Gears of War pc port, but I just can't be mad at them now. :P

I too would like info on the backward compatibility though. Will we be able to start on a project now and make it work with some new version in, say, 6 months?

Comment

Originally posted by Solid Snake View Post
          I would imagine that the feature set we have here (which is still amazing btw), is probably where it may stay at. Continual updates with new technology would be amazing, but given that we already have this fantastic engine in our hands for free, I just don't see how that's even remotely fair on Epic.

I imagine what we'll see is fixes to critical bugs that may exist, and general things like that.
          I'd imagine there would be more added to the UDK... I base this on 2 logical arguments:

1) The filename on nVidia is listed as "Beta". (Though that doesn't mean anything, especially given UT3's disk name rc17)

2) http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Devel...October%202009 The UDN itemizes the UDK builds by Month/Year.

Comment

Epic continues to impress me.

Comment

Originally posted by Crozz View Post
              I too would like info on the backward compatibility though. Will we be able to start on a project now and make it work with some new version in, say, 6 months?
              Our licensees have the same concern, as do our internal development teams, so it's something we are very careful about. We may require you to load and resave your content in the new build. Very rarely, we will actually break compatibility, but there will always be a build before we break compatibility that allows you to resave assets and maintain compatibility.

Comment

Thanks. There is apparently no such thing as bad news here

Comment

As a new-comer to UDK, I have to say I'm deeply impressed by what the level of support seems to be. Especially coming from modding Blizzard games, .

Comment

Working...
                  X