Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

UT3 and GoW content

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UT3 and GoW content

Is there any way of importing content from UT3 or Gears of War into the UDK editor? I was really hoping to use a lot of the meshes from GoW but I can't find a way of opening them.

Many thanks
    Chris

Load them into the browser as usual. However you can't save from UDK back for UT3, and possibly GOW. If there was a way i'd love it lightmass is sweet

Comment

I don't know about GOW, but porting UT3 content over to the UDK is very easy, provided the level or assets in question do not depend on actors (certain weapons for example), or assets not available in the UDK.

Just open the files in the UDK, and resave them.

Works with Cooked files too, although I am not sure on how wonderful it is to port over already cooked files really. I would personally avoid doing that.

There may be legal trouble porting GOW content to UDK too.

Comment

So, I take this to mean that one can't design content for Gears or UT3 using this new editor? We're stuck using the old one if we want to... say... make a UT3 DM level?

Comment

I posted this in excitement and hadn't had a proper look around, I was using the import button on the generic browser instead of the open button. But thanks for the quick replies!

Comment

Silentw You are correct.

Comment

Tried opening GoW content with it and no luck unfortunately It gives a error message saying GoW is an older version of the engine and it's not compatible with the current version.

Now I'm stumped. I have to decide whether to abandon the GoW meshes in favour for the new features in the UDK for my Final Major Project.

Comment

Originally posted by Piranhi View Post
                Now I'm stumped. I have to decide whether to abandon the GoW meshes in favour for the new features in the UDK for my Final Major Project.
                Same problem here. I'd LOVE to use the new editor... but it appears I'm stuck using the UT3 version, since I'm essentially making a UT3 mini-mod.

Comment

Aye, converting from UT3 to UDK was very easy for the most part... I'm now just fixing issues related to things that substantially changed and broke my game.

Much easier than I could have ever expected, given I pretty much have my game standalone after a couple of hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Demruth View Post
                    Aye, converting from UT3 to UDK was very easy for the most part... I'm now just fixing issues related to things that substantially changed and broke my game.

Much easier than I could have ever expected, given I pretty much have my game standalone after a couple of hours.
                    So, Demruth, you're saying that a UT3 Mod can be easily made standalone using UDK? I'm just starting a mod... no combat or anything, story-intensive, but I was planning on using UT3 assets. Should I be using UDK?

Comment

Some UT3 assets are included with the UDK - you'll have to see if those are adequate. Note that if you ever plan on making your mod commercial, you cannot use Epic owned assets in the mod.

Comment

Originally posted by silentw View Post
                        So, Demruth, you're saying that a UT3 Mod can be easily made standalone using UDK? I'm just starting a mod... no combat or anything, story-intensive, but I was planning on using UT3 assets. Should I be using UDK?
                        If you're planning on using UT3 assets that aren't provided by the UT3 demo in UDK, you should probably be using UT3. Otherwise, it should be fairly easy to port your mod across.

Comment

So i use Epics content as proof of concept , then replace them with my own to make a few zillion bucks. mmmm ,sounds fair to me

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Polge View Post
                            Some UT3 assets are included with the UDK - you'll have to see if those are adequate. Note that if you ever plan on making your mod commercial, you cannot use Epic owned assets in the mod.
                            Including extending UT3 demo classes? For example, AFFVehicle extends UTVehicle

Comment

Use of Epic's code in a commercial mod is not restricted.

Comment

Working...
                              X