Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not like this is going to get fixed, but translucent landscape crashes, corrupts inis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not like this is going to get fixed, but translucent landscape crashes, corrupts inis

So I had this great idea where I would use the landscape editor to make the landscape, then make another "landscape" for water... blending the terrain layer materials so I can paint the direction the water flows, and switch the water to waterfalls automatically where it gets steep. It was going well until I made the landscape translucent.

With 100% consistency, painting a translucent material onto a landscape causes the editor to crash. And it corrupts something so that my DefaultSystemSettings.ini's bAllowSeparateTranslucency=True gets ignored, and my sobel edge post processing now draws ugly black lines around my fireflies, candlelights, and other glowing particles. And it corrupts a bunch of stuff in the editor, like changing the landscape brush to a big thick black circle, and the gentle pulse of the landscape brush becomes a blinking black smudge. I haven't been able to fix it in the same installation; I have to install a new instance, and that gets corrupted right away when I try again to make a translucent landscape.

Code:
    Rendering thread exception:
    Assertion failed: i>=0 && (i<ArrayNum||(i==0 && ArrayNum==0)) [File:d:\depot\unrealengine3\development\src\core\inc\Array.h] [Line: 575]

Stack: Address = 0x3f325f49 (filename not found) [in C:\UDK\HimekoSutori\Binaries\Win64\UDK.exe]
    Address = 0x3fb5c988 (filename not found) [in C:\UDK\HimekoSutori\Binaries\Win64\UDK.exe]
    Address = 0x3fb6007f (filename not found) [in C:\UDK\HimekoSutori\Binaries\Win64\UDK.exe]
    Address = 0x3fb828dc (filename not found) [in C:\UDK\HimekoSutori\Binaries\Win64\UDK.exe]
    Address = 0x3fba15e6 (filename not found) [in C:\UDK\HimekoSutori\Binaries\Win64\UDK.exe]
    Address = 0x3fbadf88 (filename not found) [in C:\UDK\HimekoSutori\Binaries\Win64\UDK.exe]
    Address = 0x3fbb27da (filename not found) [in C:\UDK\HimekoSutori\Binaries\Win64\UDK.exe]
    Address = 0x3fbb5df3 (filename not found) [in C:\UDK\HimekoSutori\Binaries\Win64\UDK.exe]
    Address = 0x3fbb9c48 (filename not found) [in C:\UDK\HimekoSutori\Binaries\Win64\UDK.exe]
    Address = 0x3fc4c409 (filename not found) [in C:\UDK\HimekoSutori\Binaries\Win64\UDK.exe]
    Address = 0x3fc643ed (filename not found) [in C:\UDK\HimekoSutori\Binaries\Win64\UDK.exe]
    Address = 0x3fc67d38 (filename not found) [in C:\UDK\HimekoSutori\Binaries\Win64\UDK.exe]
    Address = 0x3fc192d7 (filename not found) [in C:\UDK\HimekoSutori\Binaries\Win64\UDK.exe]
    Address = 0x3fc247f9 (filename not found) [in C:\UDK\HimekoSutori\Binaries\Win64\UDK.exe]
    Address = 0x3fc24d04 (filename not found) [in C:\UDK\HimekoSutori\Binaries\Win64\UDK.exe]
    Address = 0x3fc2558d (filename not found) [in C:\UDK\HimekoSutori\Binaries\Win64\UDK.exe]
    Address = 0x3f56e2bc (filename not found) [in C:\UDK\HimekoSutori\Binaries\Win64\UDK.exe]
    Address = 0x3f56e529 (filename not found) [in C:\UDK\HimekoSutori\Binaries\Win64\UDK.exe]
    Address = 0x3f37b330 (filename not found) [in C:\UDK\HimekoSutori\Binaries\Win64\UDK.exe]
    Address = 0x776559cd (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\system32\KERNEL32.dll]
    Address = 0x7778b981 (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll]

Address = 0xfd6aaaad (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll]
    Address = 0x3f369695 (filename not found) [in C:\UDK\HimekoSutori\Binaries\Win64\UDK.exe]
    Address = 0x3f326d1b (filename not found) [in C:\UDK\HimekoSutori\Binaries\Win64\UDK.exe]
    Address = 0x3f325fbc (filename not found) [in C:\UDK\HimekoSutori\Binaries\Win64\UDK.exe]
    Address = 0x3fb5c988 (filename not found) [in C:\UDK\HimekoSutori\Binaries\Win64\UDK.exe]
    Address = 0x3fb6007f (filename not found) [in C:\UDK\HimekoSutori\Binaries\Win64\UDK.exe]
    Address = 0x3fb828dc (filename not found) [in C:\UDK\HimekoSutori\Binaries\Win64\UDK.exe]
    Address = 0x3fba15e6 (filename not found) [in C:\UDK\HimekoSutori\Binaries\Win64\UDK.exe]
    Address = 0x3fbadf88 (filename not found) [in C:\UDK\HimekoSutori\Binaries\Win64\UDK.exe]
    Address = 0x3fbb27da (filename not found) [in C:\UDK\HimekoSutori\Binaries\Win64\UDK.exe]
    Address = 0x3fbb5df3 (filename not found) [in C:\UDK\HimekoSutori\Binaries\Win64\UDK.exe]
    Address = 0x3fbb9c48 (filename not found) [in C:\UDK\HimekoSutori\Binaries\Win64\UDK.exe]
    Address = 0x3fc4c409 (filename not found) [in C:\UDK\HimekoSutori\Binaries\Win64\UDK.exe]
    Address = 0x3fc643ed (filename not found) [in C:\UDK\HimekoSutori\Binaries\Win64\UDK.exe]
    Address = 0x3fc67d38 (filename not found) [in C:\UDK\HimekoSutori\Binaries\Win64\UDK.exe]
    Address = 0x3fc192d7 (filename not found) [in C:\UDK\HimekoSutori\Binaries\Win64\UDK.exe]
    Address = 0x3fc247f9 (filename not found) [in C:\UDK\HimekoSutori\Binaries\Win64\UDK.exe]
    Address = 0x3fc24d04 (filename not found) [in C:\UDK\HimekoSutori\Binaries\Win64\UDK.exe]
    Address = 0x3fc2558d (filename not found) [in C:\UDK\HimekoSutori\Binaries\Win64\UDK.exe]
    Address = 0x3f56e2bc (filename not found) [in C:\UDK\HimekoSutori\Binaries\Win64\UDK.exe]
    Address = 0x3f56e529 (filename not found) [in C:\UDK\HimekoSutori\Binaries\Win64\UDK.exe]
    Address = 0x3f37b330 (filename not found) [in C:\UDK\HimekoSutori\Binaries\Win64\UDK.exe]
    Address = 0x776559cd (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\system32\KERNEL32.dll]

landscape wasn't meant to be used with translucent materials, so it really isn't supported
    but we use it in HeroesVII to the same intention as you describe. it required some engine modifications from one of our coders and someone from Epic. however I recall mostly problems with LODs and not crashes

even if it was easily fixable, it's not like we're gonna get another UDK release anyway

Comment

Yeah, I was afraid it was an unsupported activity I was trying out here. Then again, everything in UDK is going to be unsupported now.

I think I can get the game to not crash or mess up the post processing effects. But is there a way to override LOD settings, and keep everything at max quality, without altering the C++? I promise not to tell anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel3W View Post
        Yeah, I was afraid it was an unsupported activity I was trying out here. Then again, everything in UDK is going to be unsupported now.

I think I can get the game to not crash or mess up the post processing effects. But is there a way to override LOD settings, and keep everything at max quality, without altering the C++? I promise not to tell anyone.
        Have you tried playing around with these F4 Landscape Properties:

Object.LOD.MaxLODLevel = 0
        Object.LOD.LODDistanceFactor = 0.1
        Object.LOD.CollisionMipLevel = 0
        Object.LOD.MobileLODBias = 0

Comment

those will only override the LOD, which visually will most likely fix the issue. the problem there was, was that for translucent landscapes it was rendering all polygons of all LODs at once. however I don't know of any other way to override the LOD settings

anyway other than that I would expect it to work. just make sure your material has bUsedWithLandscapes=true and you should be good to go. we never experienced any crashes or messing up of postprocess effects

Comment

Thanks frankit and Chosker. I changed the LOD settings and I think I might almost have it working (it's still buggy, but I can make it work). I'll put some more time into it tomorrow, and we'll see how it goes. Screenshots coming up soon.

Comment

Working...
            X