• Time
  • Show
Clear All

UDK-based games glitch, crash on non-admin OS account

Games: Strike Vector, Hawken, Antichamber
    Specs: HP Pavilion 500, Windows 8 OS
    Other info: all games installed through Steam client

Issue:
    Game initally starts up fine; title card shows up, and the game window fills the screen. I hear about 1/3 second of audio from the "Made with Unreal" video clip, but then the audio cuts out and the game window collapses; the screen remains black through this process. Trying to re-open the game window causes the problem to start over.

This problem occurs only under specific conditions: a) running the game on a 'limited user' Windows OS account (runs fine on default admin account), b) the administrative OS account being password-protected, and c) running the game in fullscreen mode (windowed mode seems to run fine). Granting administrative privileges through the desktop directory works around the problem, but only temporarily; the games do not seem to retain these privileges after closing down.

I've never had this issue with any other game engine, and aside from the Steam service it seems to be what the games I listed all have in common. Does anyone know what's going on?

Launch file for the most recent run of Antichamber: http://textuploader.com/6654
Working...
X