Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Decals - lighting issues on BSP surface (black decal)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decals - lighting issues on BSP surface (black decal)

Hi,

I've been having this strange issue where decals work only on one side of the room on BSP materials. It doesn't matter, which material is underneath (I have tried several). I have set floor alignment to default. I am using a very simple material setup for now with the masked setting to 0,33.

Since this is not the first time it is happening, and because it is specific to certain areas of the room, I am really at loss what might cause this error. I have searched for explanations, but only found that decals may display wrong on static meshes, which isn't the case here.

Please help me with this. I am following the guidelines to the letter, but the technology isn't working how it should.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Decal_Error.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	3253481

- Have you rebuild the light?
    - Delete the specular map and see what happens.

Comment

and put the lightning mode to Unlit (in the material editor)

Check this thread: http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/...ls-going-black

Comment

I have read those, but thank you. It only happens on a side of the room, while they are perfect on the other. That is the main problem - why does it happen there but not 2 meters further away?

It also happens that 8 decals bake black and 2-3 are perfectly right. That is the thing I don't understand at all. Sometimes they are right next to each other and one works, the other doesn't.

Comment

Try to place a point light over the black decal material and then see if it turns normal. When this is the case, then there is something wrong with the lighting.

Comment

Interesting - that indeed changed them back to normal.

However, when I use "unlit" in the preset they are simply black (see the picture for reference). So I go with the normal phong preset, in order to see my result.

Also - thanks for answering so quickly! I just put this thread online and wasn't really expecting help so fast. Maybe I'm lucky and I can resolve this problem and get one worry off my chest.

Name:	Decal_Error2.jpg
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	3249940

Comment

In this forum you always get fast replies ^^

Solutions:

-Add a Sky Light (when there isnt one)
              -rotate the dominant directional light a little bit

Comment

Tried all of that and more and they are still black most of the time. I get a kind of funky mix now. It's almost like they are working and not working at the same time.

I wonder if it could have something to do with the BSP/CSG below it, since it seems like they are not projecting correctly, even though they are set up to. There is no problem on static meshes with those decals, so I'm guessing something BSP. I'll check the surfaces and make sure nothing is on top of each other. When I have a solution I will post it.

If you have more suggestions, I'll gladly try them out, too. I'm quite surprised, I'm the only person having this problem. Most of the time work with UDK is surprisingly smooth for me. But this is just incredibly annoying to figure out.

Name:	Decal_Error3.jpg
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	3249941

Comment

Working...
                X