Recompiling Kismet nodes already used on a map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recompiling Kismet nodes already used on a map

I'm not entirely sure if this is the intended behaviour either (for reasons unknown to me), so I'd appreciate if someone replied to this.
    This happened on the February-2013 release.

Problem:

When creating a new SeqAct node and setting it up in Kismet, changing one or more VariableLinks PropertyNames and recompiling the node doesn't propagate changes related with the VariableLinks to the existing instance in Kismet. More specifically, if you try to use "Find('PropertyName','NewNameHere')", it returns -1 on the existing instance.

Steps to replicate the issue:
    1. Create a custom node using Unrealscript to be used in Kismet, which uses a few VariableLinks variables.
    2. Compile everything with Unreal Frontend (no errors) so you can confirm if everything so far is good. (Iterative testing)
    3. Open the Editor and inside any map of choice, set up a few nodes (including the new one) to test if it works as intended. Save all the changes.
    4. You find out that you need to write a few more lines in your new node. Additionally, you rename some of the VariableLinks PropertyNames to make the code more readable/understandable by other developers.
    5. Recompile again (no errors).
    6. Open the same map in the Editor (which has your nodes already set up) and run it without any changes. You'll find out that the VariableLinks elements with the new names aren't being used, and all local variables connected to those are set to None.

This has happened to me 2-3 times before and can be very hard to figure out. My solution right now is to delete the old node instance in Kismet and create a new one, which solves the problem. A better solution I would suggest is to create a "Validator tool" button inside Kismet which runs through all the nodes and confirms if everything is okay - you'd have to run it just like if you were building lighting/AI paths.

Cheers,
    Gonçalo
Working...
X